Chapter 7: Tetsuya's

Captain Kyoraku had a knack for finding great restaurants and Tetauya's was no exception. With soft music playing the background and waiters smiling at us as they walked by, I found it very warm and inviting. I liked the place immediately. The friendly face of the hostess greeted us from her podium, batting her eyes at the two men in my company. She lead us down a hallway with dimly lit sconces on the walls; we passed by the doors of several private dinner parties on our way down the hall. She stopped at the next room and slid the door open, ushering us inside. 

The room was simple; the walls were a soft creamy colour that enhanced the deep ebony floor below. The back of the room boasted floor to ceiling paper lanterns that were attached vertically by strings. It gave the effect of hundreds of little lights dancing like fireflies. A solid black rectangular table was the focal point of the room where a large spread of food and drink covered its surface.

There were twenty bright red seat cushions surrounding the table. Shunsui and Murasame made their way over to the table and sat down next to each other, I chose a centre cushion on the opposite side. Placing my zanpakuto on my left side, I sat down. With a deep bow, the hostess left us.

"Twenty seats, Shunsui? Really? That's not exactly a few people!" I grumbled under my breath. Shunsui had talked me into bringing Murray but I was starting to regret my decision. I couldn't go back on my word, I hated it when Murasame pulled the sad puppy look on me.

"Relax Akira, when was the last time you went out and enjoyed yourself? Captains need a break every now and then too you know! Oh and so do zanpakutos!" He added, clinking glasses with Murray.

I shook my head severely at them but they laughed as they saw through my facade. Folding my hands in my lap, I closed my eyes for a moment, pretending to ignore them. I could hear the footsteps of people beginning to trickle in, several familiar voices started chatting as they seated themselves.

Light foot steps approached me to my left. There was the clink of a zanpakuto being placed on the floor. I looked over and saw a nodachi style sword, with a star shaped hilt guard, placed next to mine. I felt the heat rising in my cheeks. That same familiar smell of amber hit me and I couldn't help the smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. I opened my eyes and looked up; Shunsui sat across from me waggling his eyebrows at me like a dork. Ignoring him I turned to face Toshiro, his face was a lot closer to mine than I had realized. I felt the strangest urge to lean into him. He gave me a tentative smile, as though he was reading my thoughts. "Good evening Akira." he breathed.

"Good evening Toshiro... H-hitsugaya... I mean Captain Hitsugaya!" I smacked myself in the face. What's your problem tonight Akira?

He flashed me a dazzling smile. "Toshiro is fine. We are the same rank after all aren't we?" I thought my face was going to melt off. "How are things coming along in the Fifth Division? I didn't heard anything from you and was starting to wonder what happened. It's good to see you haven't gone off the deep end," he smiled, pouring himself some tea. He held the pot up silently, gesturing to me.

"Yes please and keep it coming!" I loved my tea. "You know, Toshiro, it's only been two days. I think it would take a lot more than that to-,"

"Who is this hunky young man?" A sultry voice cut in. Looking across the table, I saw poor Murasame being smothered by a pair of boobs. His face was beat red. The owner of the rather large chest had strawberry blonde hair and wore a pink shall across her shoulders. She was incredibly tall and very good looking. That must have been Toshiro's lieutenant, Rangiku Matsumoto. I made a mental note to introduce her to Kensei so they could start a club of tall, pretty faced shinigami.

"Murray is a friend of Captain Yuki, Rangiku." Shunsui answered, knocking back his drink.

"You are such a darling!" she purred. "Tell me, where have you been hiding in the Seireitei?"