Chapter 10: The Assignment

The party was incredible. The entire place had transformed from the last time I had seen it into a functional area full of decorations. We ate and drank; Murray and Shunsui doing a little too much of both. There was cheering and laughter and I sat back and took it all in. Everyone was happy, I was happy. I hoped this feeling would last for a while.

That wasn't how my life worked.

***

Hobbling through the hallways of Squad Four, I found my way through the Fourth Division. My leg was giving my a little trouble, but lieutenant Kotetsu of Squad Four assured me it would heal in a few days. I dropped the box I had brought with me next to the door and decided to leave it there for the time being.

The room was dark and quiet as I entered. She peered up at me from her bed. "May I help you?" she whispered. Her voice sounded horrible.

I stood with my arms behind my back. "Lieutenant Hinamori, I believe this is our first meeting. I am Captain Akira Yuki of the Fifth Division."

"Captain of... the Fifth Division?" she questioned me.

I answered calmly. "Yes. I am sorry we haven't met until now. I wanted to let you rest as I had heard you had extensive injuries after your dealings with Aizen, a few months back."

"That's Captain Aizen," she threw back at me. "I'm confused, who are you again?"

I held my temper. "I am your new captain, lieutenant, and I would appreciate it if you would watch your tone with me."

"I think you are mistaken, Captain Aizen holds that position. He'll be back soon."

 Exactly what the report described.

"Lieutenant, I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation here. Aizen isn't coming back. His crimes are too serious for him to be pardoned. Don't you remember who ran you through with his sword a few months ago? Use your brain lieutenant Hinamori." I heard my voice rising. Calm down Akira.

"H-he..." she stuttered. "He didn't do this to me! He's a good person, I know that. He would never hurt me!" she started laughing. "He would never hurt me..."

She had become delusional. I went back to the entrance, grabbed the box and set it down on the table beside her. "If that's  the case then I have an assignment for you."

She glared at me. "I don't take orders from you."

"You do and you will. That is if you want to keep your seat, lieutenant." she said nothing. "Alright then. In this box I have arranged some files. Your job is to go through them and find the connection; the commonality they all share. I want you to write a detailed report about this and have it delivered back to me, understood?"

She stood up feebly from her bed. She opened the lid and looked at its contents. I could see the extent of her bandaged injuries, through her robes. "There's one problem with this." she whispered.

"And that is?"

"I don't take orders from you!" she picked up the box and hurled it at me. I caught it before it could make a mess but I couldn't catch her as she collapsed on the floor. Dropping the box, I knelt beside her.

"Lieutenant are you alright?"

She looked down at the bandages around her torso. There was a lot of blood, her wounds had reopened. Shit.

"Get away from me!" she pushed me, trying to get up.

I panicked. "Don't get up, let me get help." I made for the door when a shinigami entered. He looked down at her, and then to me.