Chapter 8 The Calm Before

I rolled over and pulled myself out of bed. Remembering the soiled clothing from the night before, I found some clean clothes from my dresser. Putting them on, I walked into the bathroom and brushed my hair. Where to start today? I grabbed the file from the chair and made my way to my office.

On my way there, I bumped into Hiroto. "Good morning fourth seat, how are things?" I said cheerfully.

"Captain Yuki!" he jerked. "I'm well! How can I help you today?"

"You could start by not freaking out everytime you see me." I put my hands on my hips. I considered his question for a second. "Actually, I need you to round up all of the seated officers, aside from lieutenant Hinamori that is, and bring them to my office."

"Of course ma'am, what time would like them there at?"

"Lets say in one hour? That should give me enough time to set up."

"I'm on it captain!" He saluted smartly and hopped to it.

I really needed to get him a spa day or something.

***

In my office, I walked over to my desk and sat down. Taking a deep breath, I sliced open the seal and lay the report on my desk. I flipped through each of the pages with my thumb, feeling more and more frustrated as I continued reading. If what Captain Unohana had reported in the file was true, and I had no doubt it was, I had a serious problem on my hands. I got up from my desk and paced the length of the room trying to come up with a solution. I stopped and walked back over to my desk, pulling out a pen and paper from my drawer. I scribbled a few numbers on the piece of paper. Taking the file, I placed it in the second drawer and turned the key, keeping it hidden. Someone knocked at the door.

"Come in." I walked around to the front of my desk. The officers filed into the room and stood at attention.

"Thank you all for coming," I began. "I would like each of you to write a report about yourselves. Tell me who you are, why you became a soul reaper, what you hope to achieve here in Squad Five and what you have achieved already." they faces looked cross. I tried again, "think of this as a creative writing exercise, an autobiography of sorts."

One of the officers piped up. "Excuse me for saying captain, but why?" a couple of them nodded in agreement.

I looked up, trying to keep my patience. "When was the last time someone did an evaluation on you, was it anytime recently?"

"Well no, not really captain." he remarked.

"That's why. I want to make sure you are all put in the right positions, doing the right jobs. It'll make our squad more effective. Don't you want to be proud of this division?"

"Yes captain!" they shouted in unison.

"Then get to it men." I dismissed them. I smiled, adding a quip, "and don't make me get my broom, got it?"

I heard a few laughs as they left. Kensei was one of the last to exit. "Could I have a moment?" I stopped him.

"Captain?"

"Want to take a field trip with me?" I asked.

"I guess so, where are we headed?"

"One of the most exciting places in the Seireitei," I deadpanned. "The archives."

"Oh joy," he added sarcastically.