Chapter 20: Brother and Sister

The lake was a picture of serene glass. It was so calm outside that not even a breeze touched my cheeks. The moon was happily situated above me, casting a shimmering light across the surface of the water. It was so peaceful. As I laid back against the tree, taking it all in, a figure walked in front of me to block my view.

"Yuki," I felt my lips curve into a small smile. "Isn't it beautiful outside?"

He knelt down and grabbed my shoulders, shaking me. He said something but I couldn't make it out.

"When did you get back, Yuki? I've been waiting for you to come home for a while now. I have a surprise for you; I made captain a little while ago."

He didn't respond, instead he continued to shake me.

I tried to push his hands away. "Knock it out Yuki! Why don't you come and sit beside me?" I patted the ground next to me. I pulled my hand back and cocked my head to the side, inspecting the red stain on it. "Huh," I frowned, trying to remember what had happened.

"Akira!" he yelled.

I covered my ears and winced. "Not so loud! My head hurts." I looked into his eyes. "Wait a sec, how come your eyes are red, Yuki?" I felt confused.

"Snap out of it! It's me, Murasame!" he shook me desperately.

I rubbed my forehead, trying to remember. "Murray, why are you here? Where's Yuki?"

He sat down beside me and held my hand. "Akira, he's been dead for over fifty years! You need to wake up!" he sounded so urgent.

I smiled at him and pushed him playfully. "I am awake silly! Why else would you be here?"

"Do you not remember what happened?" he stared at me in desperation.

I searched my memories for an answer to his question. "No I don't. My thoughts feel all fuzzy." I leaned my head against his shoulder.

"You are seriously injured. I need you to get up! Rangiku, Kensei and Toshiro are waiting for you to wake up!" he squeezed my hand painfully.

I laid my head back against the tree behind us. "Toshiro," I smiled. I turned to say something to Murasame and he was gone. I sat up straight, trying to see where he had disappeared to. The wind kicked up and tangled my hair in a mess of knots, obscuring my vision. I brushed them away and found myself looking at my zanpakuto, who had knelt down in front of me.

"It's you," I breathed.

"You need to listen to us both; you're not well." her expression was a mixture of angst and sorrow.

"I feel fine, shi no tenshi. Why are you both so irritable?" I cocked my head at her.

She placed her hand on my knee. "Do you remember the day I gave you my name?" she asked.

"Of course I do," I answered seriously.

"What did you promise me back then? Think Akira!" her voice sounded pained.

"I ... I'm not quite sure," I rubbed the creases in my forehead, trying to remember. The palm of my hand started to cramp and I held it in front of me, examining the deep scar that ran through it. I traced the silvery lines with my finger.

The memory hit me with a jolt. 

"I promised you I would live," I whispered.

She squeezed my knee and let go. Turning away from me she began walking to the lake. "Don't break that promise to me, Akira." I barely blinked and she was gone.

I felt extremely confused. Wasn't I alive? I tried to think of the last thing I had done. I thought about Toshiro and how he made me feel that night in the park.