Chapter 19: Trouble on pack ground

Melanie and Danny's POVs will be rare in this chapter.  Nick's back and will cause trouble.  Melanie interrupts a pack meeting for the last time.

---Mel's POV---

It was early Feburary, Danny was in a pack meeting.  Carson was taking me in for a check up because Danny was too busy.  I had interrupted the pack meeting and was snapped at.  Danny in Beta mode wasn't my favorite.  He was mindlinking me, but I didn't respond.  The last thing I said was that he promised.  Aaron's mate, Kara, was riding along.  We got to the pack doctor and was told about the twins.  We were on our way back when we were forced off the road.

---Danny's POV---

Melanie wasn't talking to me.  I felt like an idiot.  I knew she hated it when I was in Beta mode and it took me away from my promise.

Aaron came in.  "Something's wrong."

---Nick's POV---

Not only did I get the Beta's mate I also got the Luna of the pack and their female protector.  Melanie Mitchell, Carly's older sister.  "Sorry James won't be accompanying us today."  Melanie's head lolled to the side due to the amount of drugs I gave her.  She looked to be 4 months pregnant.  The Luna and the protector were semiawake.  Melanie was leaning on the Luna.  "Come on, Melanie.  I need you awake."  I slapped her face.  She woke up more.  "Say hi to Danny."  I said turning on the camera.  I then went to the Luna and the protector.  "Give me my son and my mate and they will be set free."

---Aaron's POV---

I was running the perimeter of the territory looking for scents.  I came across a rogue.  He put the bag down and ran off.  I took it and ran it home.  I shifted and opened the bag.  I found a tape.  I ran inside and put it in the VCR.  Mel, Kara, and Carson were recorded by the sick f*ck.  Danny saw it and snapped.  "I'm not waiting for a meeting.  It's the reason my wife is there and not here with me." I followed his lead.  We saw the car and found some of their things.

Danny came across an ultrasound picture.  "Twins?  Holy sh*t."  we followed the scent only to come to a dead end.

---Kara's POV---

Melanie's lip was busted open and she was getting weaker.  She needed Danny.  Carson got free and untied me.  We both grabbed Melanie and made our escape.  "Aaron?"

"Kara?  Baby, where are you?  Are you all right?  Carson?  Mel?"

"We just escaped.  Melanie needs Danny bad.  She's getting weaker.  It's not good."

"Where are you?"

"I don't know."

We kept walking.  "Danny....?"

"He's looking for us, honey."

"I'm scared.... For.... the babies..."

"I know."

"I'm.. s-s-orry."

"Why are you sorry sweetie?"

"My... fault... Danny... mad...?"

"No, sweetheart.  He's looking for you.  He's scared to death.  He's sorry.  He feels terrible."

Hours later, we were huddled together under a tree.  It was raining.  I heard running Carson and I shifted guarding Melanie.  I growled.  Aaron came into view.  "It's okay baby."  He gave use clothes and we went to shift and put them on.

"Where's Danny?"

"He's at the pack house.  He needed rest.  He was hit in wolf form.  So he's healing."  Aaron lifted his sister and carried her to the pack house.  She was burning up and hadn't woken up in hours.  Aaron set her on the couch and Danny bolted downstairs and right beside her.

---Danny's POV---

She looked so fragile.  "Mels?"  I brushed my hand over her cheek.  The room was cleared it was just me and my Melanie.  "Melanie, wake up baby.  It's Danny.  Let me see those gorgeous blue eyes."  I kissed her forehead.  "Look at Dan-Dan."  I stood and lifted her gently and sat down.  I held her close.  "Baby. wake up please.  Please, Mels."

The next day, she woke up.  "Danny?"  I heard from sitting outside.  "Danny!?"  I ran inside.

"Baby..."  I hugged her tight.

"Danny, I'm so sorry."

"No, baby.  I'm sorry.  I didn't keep my promise.  I was so rude to you.  I'm stepping down as Beta until the babies are born."

"Maybe this was a bad idea."

"What?"

"I have a bad past and you're getting dragged into it."

"I don't care.  I'm not leaving.  Melanie, I told you that."

That night, Melanie was asleep beside me.  Her head on my chest her hand held mine.  Zaya was playing with her toys.  Melanie's thoughts ran through my head.  Her dream?  "Danny, I'm sorry.  Please don't go.  Danny!"   she woke up.  She hugged me.