chapter 2

"Do they allow pets?" Cherry asked.

"It should be fine," Arnold allowed. "I have a pet pig named Abner."

"If they do allow pets, then I think we don't have to worry." Atticus smiled.

The four of them made it to the boarding house and they walked in as Arnold's pig and various cats and dogs chased each other down the stairs.

"Does that happen a lot?" Cherry asked.

"Occasionally." Arnold replied like it was normal.

"Wow, so almost like a stampede of pets." Atticus said.

Arnold walked ahead of them and called for his grandfather.

"That's my name!" Grandpa called as he was looking over some old things in their home. "Don't wear it out!"

"Um, sir, what are you looking for?" Atticus asked.

"Just lookin' around..." Grandpa mumbled as he looked around. "Who're your friends?"

Arnold gave their names with a small smile, but it shaped into an instant frown once he wondered what might happen to him and his grandparents or the other borders with the neighborhood destruction. There was then an old woman in a cheerleader uniform and started to make up some cheers.

"Grandpa, we're worried..." Arnold told his grandfather.

'If I know Atticus, this plan will work.' Patch thought to himself and smiled.

Arnold glanced to Patch curiously, but listened to his supportive grandfather.

"Don't worry, Arnold, we're not going to sell the boarding house, we're with you and your friends all the way, right, Pookie?" Arnold's grandfather asked his wife.

"Home team, home team, woo!" Grandma cheered as she had a lot of energy and did exercises like a free spirited teenager would, instead of a broken down old lady.

"What if Sheck makes everyone else sell, sir?" Cherry asked the old man.

"Then I guess they'll bulldoze down the neighborhood, short man," Grandpa sounded grave, which made Arnold a little sad about the possibility of everyone he knows and loves might be gone forever. "Pookie and I will have to move to an old folks' home and who knows what'll happen to you. You'll probably be sent to a foster home in some Midwestern state like Manitoba or... Wait. No, that's not a state, that's a province. Oh, no, Arnold! You'll be a Canadian!"

Arnold narrowed his eyes slightly. "Grandpa, we're serious..."

"Yes, sir, this is serious." Atticus added in.

"I know, you all, but we're not cooked yet," Grandpa soothed. "Whatever happens, we'll all be okay, even if your new friends have to know us as Canadians. They have very good bacon there... Canadian Bacon!"

The others glanced at him before rolling their eyes slightly, even Patch followed suit.

"This thing on?" Grandpa tilted his head. "Come on, one of you work with me!"

"Come on, guys, I'll let you stay in Mr. Smith's room while he's out of town." Arnold told his guests, leaving with them. "Good night, Grandpa... Good night, Grandma..."

"GO TEAM!" Grandma cheered as Grandpa accidentally sat on an open bear trap.

"Thanks, Arnold, and sounds like your grandfather sat on something painful." Atticus winced.

"Grandpa..." Arnold rolled his eyes and shook his head, and finally came to the room. "Here we go... It's nothing like my room, but I hope you guys enjoy it..."