Chapter 4: He shaved...once...back when dinosaurs roam--didsomeonesaypudding?

Megra wasn’t sure where she was but part of her seemed to know exactly where she was heading because she was running, through a forest with the crookback moon bright and hanging about her in the sky, as if chasing her.

Her heart was pounding, there was a ringing within her ears but she felt so high, the rush of the wind against her cheeks and the exertions of her muscles made her feel alive…free.

There was something a head of her…someone.

She was shocked to realize she was chasing someone and that rush she felt was actually blood lust, she was hunting. Suddenly the situation felt precarious, it was woman and she was screaming as she ran as fast as her legs could carry her but Meg was faster.

Her vision was sharper, the screaming was louder and before she knew it she had pounced on the human. Megra could feel the warm blood in her hands, the way her claws tore through her flesh as strangled deafening screams escaped the victim’s lips.

Megra wanted to scream, turn away but she couldn’t stop staring down at that woman’s bleeding carcass, the vacant look in her eyes from the life she had taken from her. Just when Megra thought she was going to throw up, the scene suddenly changed.

She was walking…no trudging, through the woods, deep animalistic ragged breaths left her lips and she wasn’t sure if it was her anymore. She was cupping her clawed hands into a body of water, the blood dripped from her hands and disappeared into the cool clear water, she was watching the prismatic surface of the water before leaning closer and staring down at her reflection, the eyes that stared back shocked her to the core. 

“Meg!”  She was startled out of her dreams, her eyes lashes swept open to stare into a pair of silver eyes. At first Megra wasn’t sure about where she was, everything felt so surreal.

“Derek?” She whispered on reflex staring up at Derek’s handsome face that was twisted in worry, he sighed and nodded.

“Yeah, who did you think was going to be here?” he bit back but Megra blinked profoundly, the confusion still haven’t left her face.

“I uh…I” The tumble of incoherent words that left her lips immediately softened his expression, she was still shivering and he wasn’t sure whether it was the cold or the nightmare.

Derek had woken up to the sound of her whimpers, usually Megra slept beside him on the hammock, it was a situation they had grown accustomed to ever since the incident with the hunters and her consistent nightmares but after they had stopped neither of them really wanted to part from their sleeping arrangement.

Well, until they moved and Isaac decided to join them, Derek wasn’t ready for anyone to know about them, at least not yet. The lack of her warm body beside him was what kept him up at night, but the sound of her struggling to wake up from a nightmare. Part of him was looking forward to using that as an excuse to be with her again, but then watching her now, struggling so hard with a scar that refused to fade brought out some deep protective instinct in him.

“Come here.” He ordered softly, taking a seat on the edge of the mattress, Megra looked to him with wide amber eyes that glowed in gratitude, she crawled over to him and Derek wrapped his strong arms around her tightly as she buried her face into his chest, curling up against the warmth he offered.

Silence surround them as Derek held her and gently ran his long fingers through her dark damp hair, Megra was soothed by gesture as she left her mind ponder on the strange dream. Derek pulled his legs up off the floor and on to the mattress, shifting so their bodies were pressed together, he loved how she fitted against, in moments like this when she was so small and fragile.