Chapter 1

Here I was, Hotel Cortez writing for John to arrive. As I waited I started to inspect the hotel from outside, it looked old and like it was falling apart, but it still managed to look classy.

After a few minutes of observing the hotel John finally arrived "what took you so long?" I asked "Sorry just some problems with the wife" he sighed. He looked on the verge of collapsing, but that wasn't anything new. Neither was the ache in my heart seeing him that way, or the way my stomach did a little summersault whenever he was around me.

"still fighting?" I uttered, barely audible. "you know it" he said, grimly. As we enter the hotel to check in, I instantly fell in love with it. It was kinda retro, but that didn't make it lack beauty.

John and I went to the reception desk to check in. I rang the bell once but no one came out.
So logically, I rang it once more. Then, a grumpy woman came out. No, not exactly grumpy, but sad. Her face was in an unfazed frown, but her eyes told the true story behind this woman. It's the same look I've seen whenever I've gazed upon John for the past years.

She had big square glasses and looked like she was in her late 60's. "I heard you the first time" she sighed, then she looked at John and she shifted from foot to foot nervously. I stared at her suspiciously, but John seemed to have no recognition of the odd woman behind the desk.

"Do you know each other?" I asked with caution. "nope. Never seen him before" she said, a little too quickly, never shifting her gaze from him. "we have a reservation for two rooms" I inform her, shaking off the strange vibe. It was probably just me. "Oh yes, of course, let me get your room keys" she said.
"Here sir, you stay in room 64, and miss, you stay in room 63" she said with a courteous smile. "Thanks" I said, still cautious of her. "By the way, my names Iris, in case you need anything you can call me on the telephone in you're room". We started to turn right before she piped up again "Oh, and we have no wifi" the woman, who I guess is named Iris, said. "oh that's ok we're not gonna be using internet" John said.

John and I made our way to the elevator, but right before the doors closed, I saw a little girl staring at us. She looked to be about twelve, and had really platinum blonde hair, almost white in fact. She wore a white shirt, a blazer and shorts, with messy pigtails in her hair. She looked as if she hadn't slept for months. I don't know what it was about that girl, but she sent shivers down my spine.

After the doors closed with a final, but quiet clasp, all I could think about was that little girl with the messy pig tails. And when finding an reasonable explanation in my mind as to why she was all alone failed me, I decided to ask Iris the next time I was in the lobby.

As we made our way to our rooms, I felt like there was something wrong with this floor. The second I set foot outside of the elevator, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. And when my gaze found its way to room 64, the room where John would be staying, my blood ran cold.

There was something about that room that felt sinister. Wasn't that the room that our mystery caller said he was staying in? I was about to go there, until John stopped me "what are you doing?" He said "oh nothing, it's just that there's something off about that room" he chuckled a bit, and rolled his eyes. "Don't be silly, there's nothing in there, it's just a room" he said.

"Then why do I feel like something's not right there?" I asked sassily. "You're nerves are probably shot from you being so tired. It's been a long work day" he's probably right, we've been at it all night, trying to figure out how we're going under cover for this mission. "yeah you're right. Well, I'll see you later in the morning" I said, and he laughed at the hint of an innuendo. My face burst into flames, and I jumped to defend my integrity. "Not like that! Get your head out of the gutter, John!"

After being thoroughly embarrassed, I entered the room, and unpacked. I then sat on the bed and sighed. This was going to be a looong case.

(Hey guys sorry that the chapter is short but don't worry it's just the first chapter I promise that the other chapters will be longer and I'll try to update every day☺️)

(Edited Oct. 27th, 2016)