Chapter X (Part II) - Lucian's Return

August 1369 AD

Anne was quietly humming a vague little tune as we gathered herbs in companionable silence. The forest around us was entering a new phase: I marveled as the Autumn sun inflamed the canopy with a riot of stunning reds, golds, browns and orange hues. The trees had already began to yield their foliage to the floor below; it was littered with the spongy layer of freshly molted leaves and none more beautiful than the deep crimson of the bloodbirch. This was the Redweld forest in all it's riotous glory.

This was the Autumn of my sixteenth year.

"Aria, what about this one?" Anne pointed a dainty finger over toward a bush with sphere-like blowballs that looked almost like a series of lavender dandelion heads on each stalk. I followed her towards the pretty herb. She brought her shears out and began cutting a few stalks for her basket.

"Can you name it?" She eyed me expectantly as I brought a purple floret to my nose and inhaled deeply.

I shook my head.

"It smells like spearmint, but I don't think I recall what it's called."

"Pennyroyal. It's a potent abortifacient. It can be made into a special tea for those who like to partake in the hedonistic pleasures of the flesh...but do not care for the consequences." I might have replied, but she continued matter of factly. "This, you will never need, Aria." And the subject was dropped. But not before she quietly muttered in a low aside, "Not that it would affect you..."

We continued our walk and she pointed out a few more herbs for me to identify.

"Coughwart. It's an anti inflammatory and treats cough, fever and head agues," I recited.

Anne nodded with a smile and gestured toward a daisy-like plant.

"Chamomile," I said proudly, "used to treat colic, flatulence and to calm nerves."

"Just so." she beamed happily.

At length we turned around, our escort doing the same, and began to move back into Nørrdragor's direction. Anne did not often have us walk this way, so when I spotted that old overgrown pathway — the one I had watched the beshackled men being lead onto — I stopped to ponder its direction. What lies yonder, I mused.

Anne, frowning as she noticed which way my attention was bent, drew alongside me, weaving her arm into the crook of my elbow.

"There is nothing for you there," she murmured. "Only wolves and goblins have dominion over this part of the forest."

I narrowed my gaze. She is lying. I had not heard a single wolf call to another in all the years I had been in the north. It was one of the oddities about my home that had never sat well with me — the unnatural quiet of the forest.

"By the by, Godwin informed me this morning that he expects Lucian and Caine any day between now and Michaelmas."

I stopped mid-stride and squeezed my eyes shut in agitation, her words effectively distracting me anew.

Within the month?! Things have been so wonderful! Why must he come home now!

My thoughts were in a tumult and my face must have betrayed me, for when Anne remained quiet I looked up to see her frowning.

"I cannot change the course of your future, my dear, nor do I wish to. You will marry Lucian as per Godwin's decree; your reluctance notwithstanding."

I acknowledged her words with a tight smile, but held my tongue.

"My son has put this union off long enough and Godwin is non too pleased."

In sooth, I hadn't noticed. I hardly spoke to Godwin and he usually looked aloof and unflappable when I did see him.