Chapter XXXV - A Daughter of the Moon

When I awoke the next morning it was to find that Lucian's side of the bed was cold and the sheets undisturbed. I frowned at the linen that still retained the spice of his scent and reproached myself for allowing surprise — but especially disappointment — to mar my peak.

What did you expect, you simpleton! That he would crave afresh the coldness of your back?

I could bear the sight of my chamber walls no longer and decided at last to face the family, besides which it was a lovely day out and certainly shameful to stay within. Ergo, it was with a renewed sense of purpose that I scrambled into a gown and made my way downstairs, too impatient to await Astrid's arrival.

I had seen no one since Lucian left me and might have bethought the place deserted if not for Carac's heavy frame reposing atop the dais at the trestle, only four other knights were present at the far end of the hall. He merely inclined his head in a cold manner when I drew near, which he, no doubt, felt to be a sufficient greeting.

"Will you not speak to me?" I asked sullenly, to which he answered plainly: with more silence. "Where has everybody gone to?" My brows knit together in consternation as I seated myself beside him. It was certainly eerie to see the hall so unoccupied, save for a few servants and knights, for it had been crowded for months.

Carac took a mighty swill of his tankard and slammed it down before he bellowed for a serving lad to fill his cup anew. Once the boy had seen to the task, Carac turned his tetchy gaze at me.

"As you see, they are gone."

"Yes, I can see that, you ill-tempered bear! What do you mean they are gone?" I bristled.

"Careful, Aria. I am not your little, besotted friend, Thomas. My bite is worse than my bark!" he growled. The ebullition of his temper subdued me instantly and thus we were quiet some moments ere he deigned to answer me finally.

"As you know, there are no longer any guests remaining. Have you already forgotten what it is like to have Nørrdragor's population reduced to normal proportions?"

"But tis early yet, should not the family at least be-"

"All are out hunting save Godwin," he said curtly. I was becoming annoyed by his treatment of me, but I did not seek to loose his temper again, so I bore it silently. "A fresh set of hart spoor was discovered nearby."

"Why are you not also enjoying the sport?" I asked him as a servant deposited a light repast of warm bread and butter before me.

"Because I am to play nursemaid to you!" he grouched.

"What? And who has charged you with the chore, pray?" I did not care that I sounded peevish. I had attempted a conciliatory aspect since his outburst, albeit to no avail; but no longer!

"Who do you think." He narrowed his eyes over the lip of his tankard. "Lucian."

"But why?"

"He left at dawn this morning and since he is not here to keep you from mischief, the task is mine." He was not at all happy with the assignment.

"Has he not joined the hunt?" I lowering the buttery morsel from my shocked lips at his surly revelation. He shook his head no. "But where did he go then?"

I could not forbear the worry that crept into my brow, nor the hurt from my voice for he had left without a by your leave. God's teeth! I am so confused! Did I want him to go or did I want him to stay? But I had my answer! Why else was I now upset by his absence, if not because I loathed the thought of his departure? It disturbed me a great deal to know that he was gone from Nørrdragor and not on the hunt as I'd first assumed.