Chapter 1: Two Less Fish In The Sea

"Hello?"

With my free hand, I placed my phone at the crook of my neck and tilted my head so it held the phone in place. I glanced at the drawing in front of me, grabbed the ivory colored pencil, and began shading in the dress, giving it dimension.

"Hey Harles, are you busy?" The voice on the other end asked nonchalantly, but I could pick out the excitement in her voice.

I glanced up at the clock and by my bottom lip gently. I only had a few more hours to work on the dress and it was not even halfway done. In these types of situations, I would take a rain check with the caller, but Elizabeth Brown was the exception.

"Yeah, just give me a quick sec." I responded, throwing down the colored pencil. I placed my hands on the edge of the desk and lightly pushed forward, causing the chair to roll back. Once I stood up, I grabbed the phone and made my way int the living room. I shifted comfortably on the black leather couches before talking into the phone.

"What's up Liz?" 

"I have important news!" She announced excitedly.

Suddenly, I regretted my actions as I rolled my eyes at her statement. Last week she had called and stated the same thing; it turns out that MAC stopped selling her favorite lipgloss, or should I say lipglass, shade: Liquid Passion. Needless to say, my level of excitement no longer matched hers.

"Don't roll your eyes at me." She demanded.

My eyebrows furrowed, how the hell does she know what I'm doing?

She sighed as though reading my mind. "We've been best friends since third grade babe. We're practically the same person."

I agreed a hundred percent with that statement. A fond smile tugged on the corner of my lips as I thought about all that we've gone through. 

"Third grade seems like forever ago, doesn't it?" I mused quietly.

"Yeah fourteen years this September," Elizabeth replied in the same tone.

There was a moment of mutual silence between us as we both continued to think fondly of our past times.

"Anyways, I called because I do have big news."

"And what is it?" I asked hurriedly, my curiosity getting the better of me.

"Are you sure?" I could hear the smile in her voice as she continued taunting me.

I scoffed. "I've been ready, just tell me already." 

"Okay…" She took in a deep breath and I almost yelled at her to stop her dramatics. "I'M GETTING MARRIED!"