Chapter 4: Lovely Ladies

"What do we do when we get there?" Joanna asked in a hushed voice.

I looked over at her and then looked down, biting my lower lip. After reading all the angry text messages from Elizabeth, I quickly found Joanna and we both ran as fast as we could back to the hotel- well as fast as two women with hangovers could.

To save time, we both jumped into the lone shower together, in our swimming suits might I add. Afterwards we both got dressed, applied our makeup, and headed to Starbucks. We both downed our cups of coffee, in hopes that we would appear sober at the bridal shower.

We were currently standing in front of Elizabeth's family's beach house, not knowing what to expect when we got there. Joanna and I were well over an hour late and with one look at us, they would definitely know the reason behind it.

"Knock on the door." I hissed at Joanna.

She reached her hand out hesitantly, but one look from me made her knocking as loud as she could.

"Coming!" I heard a familiar voice sang.

The door opened and our eyes locked onto a familiar face. Her face remained neutral when she looked at us. Though her face was passive, her beautiful hazel eyes glimmered with an unrecognizable emotion. She quickly moved over to us and gave us both a hug at the same time.

As I leaned into her embrace, I couldn't help but recognize that she smelt the same as usual.

"It's great to see you again Mrs. Brown." Joanna greeted happily.

Elizabeth's mother looked at us before laughing softly. "Despite the fact that I haven't seen you girls in over a year, you could still call me Jane."

There was nothing plain about Jane and at 45, she didn't look a day over 30. It was something that I was always jealous of as I got older.

"Just warning you two, Elizabeth's in there pacing and you know how she gets when things aren't to her expectation. I told her that I would be the first to scold you two, so just pretend that I did." She stated, winking over at us.

Joanna and I giggled. 

"Thanks Jane." I stated softly.

She smiled, her eyes twinkling as she did and motioned for us to enter the room. 

The second Joanna and I entered the room, I wished we were more prepared. Everyone there, Elizabeth included wore bright summer dresses. I silently looked over Joanna and I's semi-matching dark blue bodycon dresses. Everyone else had flip flops or flats on while we both wore black 5-inch pumps.

"Oh well, go big or go home huh?" Joanna stated, looking over at me.

I chuckled and we both made our way over to Elizabeth who stopped pacing when she spotted us. As she stormed over to us, I noticed a ghost of a smile on her face.