Chapter 5: That's What She Said

"You're joking right?" I asked with forced laughter.

Elizabeth's mother, Jane, shook her head slowly. My jaws dropped and my eyes widened considerably as I ran my hands through my partially wet hair. 

"I don't know what to say though! I wasn't aware you had to speak at a bridal shower!" I hissed frantically.

Jane looked at me in confusion. "It depends on the bridal shower, but Victoria didn't tell you? She was supposed to call and remind you."

I scowled, of course this would be the work of Victoria. Before I could say anything, Jane turned towards said blonde, motioning for her to join us. As she reached us, I gave her a tightlipped smile which she returned.

"Victoria, weren't you supposed to call Harley and remind her about the speech?" Jane asked, her eyes narrowing onto Victoria's dark blue eyes, accusingly. 

The blonde scowled over at me quickly, something that only I saw, before her lips parted slightly and her eyes wide. "Oh my gosh, I am so sorry Aunt Jane, I completely forgot!" 

I could see Jane faltering slightly at Victoria's "oh-so-innocent" face, but she kept her ground. "I think you should be apologizing to Harley."

Victoria's eyes hardened at the sound of that, but she reluctantly turned towards me. I waited, looking at her with a triumphant smirk. The blonde opened her mouth to talk, but no words escaped from her mouth; it looked like it would kill her if she spoke.

"Did you want to say something Vicky?" I asked, smiling innocently which covered the smug look on my face.

"I'm… sorry." She spat out the last word like it had burned her tongue. "I should have remembered to call you or text you. I meant to send a text, but it completely slipped my mind the next moment."

I mentally scoffed. I knew for a fact that she no longer had my number just like how hers was blocked on my phone, not that Elizabeth knew of course.

"But." Victoria chirped, regaining her confidence as she smirked over at me. "I can speak in your place instead. I have a few words to say."

"How convenient." I stated, sarcasm dripping off my words.

She gave me a fake smile. "I just know what to say. Elizabeth, after all, is my favorite cousin; we're practically sisters."

I knew exactly what she was doing and it only made me more amused. From the start, everyone knew that either Joanna or I would be Elizabeth's maid of honor, but Victoria always thought that she was a shoo-in for the title. When Elizabeth revealed that I was her maid of honor, no one was as upset as Victoria. She was chosen as a bridesmaid; however, she was still second to Joanna.

"You know what? I think I can do the speech Jane. I have a few clues on what I would say. After all, no one knows Elizabeth better than myself; it's why I was chosen to be the maid of honor." I stated, turning towards Jane.