Chapter Two: Names and Faces

"...and so the Helpers went off to try and contain the situation." Beth blinked once when Lunden finished. How much history do these people have together?!? Judging from what the English lady said, it's been...about a year and a half. And they're already such good friends? I need to reevaluate my life... The Arches glowed again, releasing several more people. "Gregory, Valeriya, Amet, Fahimah, and Justinus! How are you all?" Myah grinned as she called everyone by name. She did love getting to know all these people. Beth, however, was completely lost. More names to learn. Luckily, through the explanation given by Lunden earlier, Beth felt she could distinguish at least who was from which country. And maybe it was just her imagination, but two of the Helpers seemed to be either engaged or married to their corresponding Royals. Namely Justinus and Amet. Ah well. I'm sure I'll meet plenty of guys who aren't taken during this adventure. Beth laughed at herself. Who am I kidding? I'm not even sure I want to go on this "adventure"! Gregory, obviously the oldest of the Helpers present, stepped forward. "Miss Hill, I am pleased to meet you. I am Gregory, Helper of England. Our leader is not here, and since she is not, I will take the liberty of explaining the role of the Helpers. Our first assignment was to bring the Royals together. That was completed when Charity joined them. Our second mission is to protect the Royals. We have done that on several occasions for each Royal, whether they see us or not. Our third mission is to assist the Royals and our kingdom. Each one of us has found our own roles outside of these three assignments. I make armor for Queen Lunden's personal arsenal. Amet is an Egyptian soldier, trained in chariot driving as well as combat. Valeriya handles horses, and has studied the art of disguise for eight years. Justinus is a Roman legionnaire, proven through battle. He is also an excellent strategist. Fahimah makes all the smaller, more delicate pieces of metal work that I cannot. She made the keys that allow the Royals to pass through time. She also makes crowns. I believe the one you are wearing now is her handiwork?" Beth touched the crown on her head subconsciously. "What...? This just...what?" Fahimah raised an eyebrow. "The crown. I made that on special request. The order showed up on my worktable a month ago. Told me the exact specifications, down to the little diamond flowers. I left it in a box with a lock on it, underneath the awning of my door. The note had requested that it be so. When I came back the next morning, the box was gone, and a note that simply said "thank you" was left in its stead, along with the payment for the item."
Beth was now worried. This crown might be stolen property! No, it's paid for. But it's not mine! "Oh, I had no idea! Ms. Fahimah, please take the crown! I didn't mean to get mixed up in this! I'm sorry!" Beth pulled the crown off her head. Or, at least, she tried. For that crown did not want to move. It took a good many seconds to get it off. Beth handed it to Fahimah, embarrassed. Fahimah turned it over in her hands. Studying the back of the crown, she frowned. Then looked up. "It is I who should be sorry, Beth. This crown is engraved with your name. It belongs to you, and you alone." Beth reached for the crown hesitantly. But sure enough, there in silver engraving was "Belonging to Beth Hill". Beth almost dropped the crown. She held it out to the side, an arm's length away from herself, towards Sarah. "Take it. Just take it." Sarah looked at Fahimah, who nodded, and gently took the crown. Silence ensued, leaving Beth to try and make conversation. "So...are the Helpers and Royals allowed to get married?" That got a smile out of everybody, even though for some, it was more like a smirk. Amet answered Beth's question: "Absolutely. Gracina and I were married a couple of months ago. Sarah and Justinus are engaged, and I believe Valeriya has a thing for a Russian farmer....." Valeriya's eyes went wide. Everyone laughed good-naturedly, Beth included. So is this what it's like to be one of them?

I love it!