Chapter Five: Queen of Nowhere

After searching everywhere they could for the day, the Royals gathered in the palace of Rome. At least, most of them were inside. Beth chose to wander the royal gardens instead, alone with her thoughts. Why? Why I am I here? What can I bring to this group? What am I doing....? Beth sat down hard on the low branch of a nearby tree. If every Royal represents their country, then I represent the United States! Good knight! I never, never, ever want to be President! Beth laughed softly. It was a lovely moment gone too soon. How did I get caught up in this? I....I could die in Rome or England or Russia, hundreds of years before I was ever born! I could die fighting a woman that would be dust before my parents ever met! Beth leaned against the trunk of the tree and pulled the crown from her head, turning it over and over in her hands. Why me? They say I'm a queen. Queen of the United States, which makes absolutely no sense. But I just became a legal adult, and I was going to be an intern at Georgia Aquarium! I was so close...I just opened to wrong door. I guess I should be honored....they probably thought I was someone else. No way they picked an eighteen-year-old from Georgia to represent the country. Not on purpose. But...I guess I can't turn back now. They said I'd been chosen, but I didn't earn it. How....why did I stand out? They picked me to be a queen! But I'm not Queen of the United States. The Royals just don't get it. I'm Queen of Nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. Beth sighed, rising from her seat on the tree branch. She thought about throwing her crown somewhere in the garden. It got itself on her head, let it get itself home. But that wouldn't work. The crown would probably just show up on Beth's head again. Besides, she was in ancient Rome! How on earth would she get back home from here?! Beth straightened up a little. She set the crown back on her head and started for the palace. She was in Ancient Rome, with time travelling royals from different countries. They were fighting for their kingdoms, and Beth couldn't leave them with a clear conscience yet. So she'd just have to help.