Chapter Nine: Crimes of War

----Rome, the Next Morning-----

Bright sunlight broke the sleepy haze in Sarah's mind. She stirred, rolling out of her bed. Wait, hadn't she just been sitting on a bench? Justinus must have carried me here late last night...but that was no matter. What mattered more was that it was time now to meet the others in the Stone Circle to continue the search for Feria. Sarah got up and began to get ready for the day, putting on a purple tunic and belting it securely with a silver braided rope. But when she picked up the gold laurel crown she wore as Empress, a note fell from between the leaves. Meet on the banks of the Tiber nearest the palace. One assassin captured already, Beth believes he will help us if only he meets you all.  -Justinus

Sarah wasted no time in collecting her dagger and placing her crown on her head, before concealing both with veils. If the others wanted to meet by the river, to the river she would go.

                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sticks crunched beneath ten pairs of feet as the Royals made their way along the riverbank of the great Tiber. Matt had pointed them south when asked where to find Feria, though Beth, who now walked with him behind the others, wasn't sure if he was telling the truth. But, little by little, what Beth had hoped for was actually happening. Matt saw the true Sarah, Lunden, and Charity, the true Myah, Gracina, and Averia, and though it was hard, he began to see things as Beth did.

All of a sudden, Sarah, who was leading, held up a hand to stop. She looked around as if searching for something, then began to run towards a clump of trees on the left of the riverbank. The others followed, only to see her stop short, then walk slowly towards a person on the ground. 

It was a very scared girl, only about twelve, with clothes torn from the elements and from hard labor. She cowered at the sight of ten people coming towards her, tears coming to her eyes. Out of the corner of her eye, Sarah saw Gracina's hand subconsciously go to her stomach. Odd...But no time for that. She bent down to the young girl, offering her a hand to help her get up from where she had tripped and fallen. "What is your name?" The girl kept trembling, but she was able to answer with a quiet "Nona". Sarah led Nona to a rock and took a seat beside her, motioning for the others to do the same. "And how did you get here?" 

Nona gulped once, hesitating. Then she began to tell her story.

Nona was living on the streets, the daughter of a deceased soldier and a mother of three children, besides Nona. Her mother had to send her out to beg every morning for food and money. But al their efforts were in vain, and her father's creditors had come to the house. They said that they would take Nona, along with her sister and brothers for the debt they owed. When Nona's mother tried to fight back, the men killed her. But she had bought enough time for Nona to sneak out with her three siblings. They had found a close friend of their father, who legally adopted the three younger children, but not Nona. He put her to work. One day, as she was going for water, she saw a couple of Roman soldiers chasing a lady through the streets. Nona carefully went closer, but as the chase rounded the corner, the woman saw Nona and grabbed her, holding a knife to Nona's throat. The soldiers were in debate about whether to move forward or not. The woman began to move away, and the soldiers let her. Nona gathered that they must've been afraid of something in order to stay back. The woman took her a long way, out of the city. At last they came to a farm in the countryside, where a lot of harsh-looking people greeted the woman as you would a general or queen. When they said "Hail Feria!" Nona knew exactly who had just taken her hostage and why. Nona says that she had heard of the traitor Feria, and of her trail of blood. Even though Feria and her followers promised despicable punishments should Nona try to escape, she chose possible death over a slave's life, and made it as far as the Tiber before running into the group that was currently her audience.

Nona finished her story, still shaking. "Are you some of her followers?"

Beth looked pointedly at Matt, but Sarah had already given an answer. "No, we are not." And Matt did not disagree...

Nona looked relieved, and looked with eager eyes to Sarah. "Then please, help me find a friend of the Empress! I have heard she loves what is right, and loves her people, and I must give her ! She is looking for Feria, and I can help!"

 Sarah stood up, her face showing the sorrow she felt for Nona, and something else...anger. Turning back to Nona, she gently pulled the veils away from her head, revealing the shining gold circlet that denoted her as the very Empress Nona was seeking to help. Nona fell to her knees before her, eyes wide with shock and an incredulous smile making its way across her face. Sarah grasped Nona's arm firmly and pulled her up so that the Empress and the former beggar looked each other in the eyes. When she spoke, her voice was tight with emotion. 

"No one will deny that Feria is at war with Rome and with me, but even in war, some things must not be done. She has reached a new low, now involving innocent children in her schemes by deception and by force. What she has done to you, Nona, is a crime, whether we are at war or not." Sarah took another breath, and reached to her crown, breaking off a single golden leaf. She lifted Nona's hand and placed the leaf in her palm. "Today I make a promise to you, Nona. I promise that for as long as I breathe, I will protect you. Never again will you have to be afraid of Feria." Nona's eyes were full of tears as she closed her fingers around the golden leaf. "Thank you, Imperatrix. You truly do love your people." 

Sarah turned away, and Gracina could see that she was struggling to keep from crying. 

"We must stop our search for a few hours. It is time to take Nona home."