Chapter Three: Unwilling Queen

"So....what exactly am I supposed to do?" Beth asked Sarah. They were the only two left in the Stone Circle, since all the others had left to go to England for a strategy meeting. Sarah blinked. "You're coming with us, aren't you? You're a Queen, and you're here...sooo..."
"But I'm not a queen! I'm not even twenty years old yet!"
Sarah shook her head once. "Age is what you make of it, as many things are."
"But why me?"
Sarah's face suddenly became curious. She tilted her head sideways and looked at Beth.
"Beth, do you want to be a part of this? None of us will make you stay if you don't want to...."
The look in Sarah's eyes was concerned, but no hidden meaning clouded her gaze. Beth sighed. What am I really getting at? Do I want to stay or not? Beth decided to simply speak, and trust that whatever came out of her mouth was true.
"I want to be a part of this. I really want to be a part of this. But....things like this don't happen to me....I'm not good enough..." Beth's heart seemed to split as she realized that what she had just said was what she truly believed.
Sarah stood still for a moment. Then in a moment, she was standing close to Beth, staring her in the face. "Beth. You aren't the only one who has doubts, in your kingdom or in any other...." Sadness clouded Sarah's face. "You are definitely not the only one. I became Empress of Rome only a short time ago, at the death of my father. My adopted brother was the one everyone assumed would be Emperor, but my father chose me. I am genuinely terrified of failing his legacy. Rome means so much to me, wayward though it is. But I doubt constantly. I've killed many people. Justly, I hope. But simply existing means I have enemies. As you know, I am one of the reasons Feria is hunting us all. But you can't let fear rule you."

"I know..."
"You know? Then act by it. Learn from your past while looking to the future, and put your people first. Then you will have earned the crown you wear. You're here for a reason, Beth. With these circumstances, it may be that you were called to help save both us and our kingdoms."

Bath sighed. This is real. I font know how u got here or why I came, but apparently I'm a Queen. Time to start thinking like one.