Chapter 6: Bad Calls

"If you don't knock it off right now I'm calling the police" I threatened right before an elbow flew back and hit me square in the face.

Falling. I could feel myself falling. Grasping for something, anything to stop my fall, but found only air. Then that air was knocked out of my lungs when I hit the ground. The fall was broken by the loud cracking noise of my head hitting the ice.

After that the chaotic situation around me blurred in and out as I tried desperately to stop consciousness from slipping through my fingers.

TWO HOURS EARLIER

"Sienna did you hear I'm racing in the Alpine Invite in a few weeks. I mean I won last year so it's no big deal, but..." I slowly tuned Jonathan out as he started bragging again about his superb skiing abilities. Over the years I'd gotten really good at nodding and "mhming" at appropriate times so he'd think I was listening. It was shocking his ego didn't make his head explode.

I won just as many races as Jonathan, but the difference was I didn't feel the need to talk about it constantly. Being completely honest even after all these years I still got nervous before each race. Qualifiers for the State Race were coming up in two weeks and I was already terrified.

"Jonathan where did the crowd go?" I interrupted his rambling when I realized the general busy flow of snowboarders and skiers had diminished drastically in the last ten minutes.

"Hopefully all the snowboarders went home. Their arrogance is polluting the air" Jonathan scoffed. The irony almost made me laugh. The most arrogant guy I knew accusing a whole sport's athletes of being arrogant. He was insufferable. I mean don't get me wrong certain snowboarders are arrogant, trust me I know a few, but not all of them are.

Before I could point out his hypocrisy my radio went off.

With all the shouting back and forth it was hard to determine what was going on. By putting together bits and pieces I was able to determine that a fight broke out on the far side where all the jumps were.

"It's the snowboarders. This is why they aren't allowed here" Jonathan shook his head in disgust.

"You can keep insulting them, but that's not going to help anything. Are you staying here or are you coming with me to help?" I didn't wait for his answer, but ran toward one of the snowmobiles normally reserved for safety patrol. Perks of being the owner's daughter.

Jonathan reluctantly followed me and climbed on the back. He knew there was no way I was letting him drive at a time like this. I knew how to handle one of these better than most people, and he would be too slow.

When we finally made it to the far side I could see why the chairlift lines were so short. A huge crowd had gathered around whatever fight was going on.

"Sienna what are you doing here?" Mason grabbed my arm as I was pushing through the crowd.

"Security wasn't responding quickly, and it was clear they weren't sure how to handle this. I thought I could help" I explained, having to shout over the noise. I was surrounded by mostly teenagers and people in their early twenties. A mix of skiers and snowboarders hurling insults at each other.

"All they're doing is shouting into their bullhorns from outside the crowd telling people to leave the area. Some big help they are. I don't know what you can do though. You should probably get out of here. These people are insane" Mason suggested, but I was a little distracted as Turner and Jayden came to stand on either side of him.

"If looks could kill I'd be dead right now" Turner raised his eyebrows at the instinctual glare on my face at his presence.

"I'm guessing getting rid of you isn't that easy"