Chapter 12: Secrets and Polls

"Wow who are you texting that has you smiling like that?" Kristen came up behind me and peered over my shoulder.

Before she scared the living daylights out of me, I had been casually leaning against my locker savoring a few calm moments to myself before I ventured into the chaos that was the cafeteria. Sadly, I also happened to choose an unlucky time to read a text from Turner.

"Um... my mom?" I quickly locked my phone and almost dropped it after she startled me.

"Liar. Tell Kristen who it was. I have a feeling it's a he or you wouldn't have freaked out so much," Kristen looped her arm through mine as we wandered toward the cafeteria.

The last thing I was about to do was tell Mason's girlfriend that I was texting/ dating his best friend. Not a good idea.

"Stop talking in the third person. It's creepy. I'm telling you my mom was wondering if I'd be home for dinner. I was just texting her back," I started fumbling with my wallet as if I was looking for something.

"I wasn't born yesterday," Kristen plucked my phone out of my hand with a sly grin.

"Kristen I need my phone back," I shrieked as I ran down the deserted hallway after her, "besides I have a password so you won't be able to get into it anyone. It's of no use to you."

I tried to reason with her as I tore after her around each corner. She was surprisingly fast.

She skidded to a halt in the middle of the science wing, turned to face me, and handed me my phone with no further resistance.

"Well that was easier than I thought. I was prepared to tackle you. How did you get to be so fast?" I caught my breath and gladly took my phone back before sliding it into my boot.

"I've been on the varsity track team since freshman year, you're dating Turner behind Mason's back, and yes I know I don't seem like the athletic type, but I'm actually relatively fast," Kristen crossed her arms, popped one hip, and looked down at my bent over form with a look of pure disappointment.

"What race do you run?" I smiled innocently with the desperate hope she would take pity on me and drop the subject.

"Sienna Clarkson what did you do? I didn't need a password because a text from Turner conveniently popped up asking why you weren't at lunch and if you were free this weekend."

"I went on one date with Turner. You can't tell Mason. He'll freak out and we won't even get a chance to figure out for ourselves whether or not we want to go forward with this. Please just keep it to yourself, so I don't have Mason screaming at me as I try to decide if I like him or not," I begged.

"Sienna, Mason and I tell each other everything. You're asking me to lie to him. I don't know if I can do that. When he does find out, and he will, he's going to be hurt that three of the most important people in his life lied to him," Kristen paced back and forth across the hallway eyeing me worriedly.

"Just give me a few weeks, then you can tell him. Please," I bargained.

"Fine. A few weeks, that's all. Now I expect all the details about you and Turner later," she threatened as we busted through the doors of the cafeteria. The past few weeks instead of going to the library during lunch, I spent the time laughing at whatever clumsy mess Jayden got himself into. Sitting with Mason, Turner, Kristen, Jayden, and some of their other friends was surprisingly entertaining.

Sure I had more homework to do at home, which resulted in less time for skiing after school, but the laughing was worth it.

Kristen eyed me suspiciously as I sat down next to her, across the table from Turner.