Chapter 29: Knots

Snow was falling again, nothing new there. I was standing at the gate about to race at State, now that on the other hand was definitely new. The gates flew open, and we all exploded out of them before I had another second to savor the moment or anticipate what was to come. There was no time to get nervous because by the time I could register another thought I was already fighting for position.

I could see Rina Madigan up ahead leading the pack as usual. How stressful it must be to have the expectation of the gold on your shoulders. I had no one to beat, but myself. Almost laughing to myself, I dug in and tore through the ranks ignoring everyone around me and keeping my eyes on Rina.

It was over before I even had a chance to enjoy it. Rina Madigan first place, Sienna Clarkson twelfth. The girl who got second was crying while I was grinning ear to ear. I would bet money that I was one of the most excited people there. I started searching the crowd for my friends.

"Ms. Clarkson?" I heard my name called from behind me. The voice belonged to a tall middle aged man in a baseball cap.

"Yes. What can I do for you?" I was still riding on the high from my race. Sure I hadn't placed top ten, but for my first and last State race, I was pretty pleased. It was fun, and I had proved I could do it, and that was good enough for me.

"I'm the women's snowboarding coach at Colorado State University, and I was wondering if you have committed anywhere for school next year?" his feet were shoulder width apart, clipboard propped on his hip appearing completely calm as I started internally shrieking.

"I have not committed anywhere, but I would love the opportunity to continue snowboarding next year," I tried to keep a tight grip on my composure, but it was sliding through my fingers faster than water.

"Well we would love to have you on the team next year, and offer you a partial scholarship as well. Here is my contact information. We can schedule a visit, and I can give you the rest of the information you need before you make your final decision," he handed me a packet and business card.

"I'll have to talk to my parents first, but I can't thank you enough for this opportunity," I shook his hand as I started to worry about how I would break what should be good news to my parents.

"I just talked to them a few minutes ago. I suggested we all talk together, but they insisted I talk to you separately," he gestured behind me.

I turned around to see my parents standing next to one of the tents. My jaw dropped. My mom waved and my dad offered a brief and minor smile. What were they doing here?

"Thank you again for this opportunity. I look forward to my visit," I shook his hand one more time before cautiously walking over to my parents.

"How did you know I was here?" I had a list of questions scrolling through my brain, but this was the most pressing one.

"I've noticed your gear bag 'hidden' in the bushes by the mailbox every so often the past few months, and the snowboarding magazines stuffed under your bed. You leave the house with two helmets every morning, and after I saw you driving with Mason one day it wasn't too hard to put it all together. You're not the best liar sweetheart, so I knew you weren't at Kristen's this weekend. When I called Mason last night it wasn't too hard to get your whereabouts out of him," my mom explained while my dad remained silent.

"And are you waiting to kill me until we aren't around so many witnesses, or will I actually live to see my nineteenth birthday?" I smiled sheepishly waiting for my dad to explode into a fit of rage.

"I'm not mad," he stated simply. Unfortunately he continued with, "I'm disappointed. You should have told us instead of sneaking around."

"Dad I'm sorry I lied to you, really I am, but you aren't exactly understanding when it comes to anything even remotely related to snowboarding," I explained, choosing my words carefully.