Trash Day

A/N Being from Wisconsin I had no idea Bluebell Alabama was a fictacious town. So, from now on I'll be bullshitting towns in this state. my apologizes to the Hart of Dixie author.

~July 28th. Bluebell, Alabama. 24 hours before the beginning of the end.~

Colette Greene grabbed both the Big Trash Bin and the recycling bin. Gramps had already brought up the Beer & Pop Can Box up to the road. Leave it to him or Pops to bring and add onto the mess of aluminum cans. Colette shook her head and laughed to herself. She put the bins on either side of the Beer & Pop Box and went back inside to collect the garbage from the smaller bins.

Grams was doing the dishes and had the full garbage bags all ready for Colette to take out. Ed was out early, making his rounds. He was such a sad old man. Walking around in nothing but rags from the tavern back to his home. At least that's what folks would say. It wasn't for certain if the old man really did have a home or not. No one had ever seen it, but he supposedly had one. If only it was more than just talk, then maybe Colette and Grams would rest easy at night without worry. The boys in the family didn't much care for him or town gossip.

Ed saw Colette and gave a big, almost toothless grin and waved. She returned the friendly gesture-with teeth. He was a kind old man. Just a very odd one... "Tell your grandmother I stopped by!" He also had a very big crush on Grams.

"Will do." She wasn't going to.

"Have a nice day, Charlotte!" Now she really wasn't going to. She hated when people called her the wrong name. Her brother used to call her Cosette and sing,

"Cosette, I hate you very much!"

"You too, Ed." .

"I'll stop by later on tonight."

"Alrighty." She waved him off as he left. He wasn't coming back. He never did. He always said he would but never actually did.

Supper came around. As everyone talked about work she decided she would rely the message to Grams. Grams giggled and blushed a little. Her father chuckled and teased Grams. Gramps however got mad. "If that A.I.D.s infested drunk comes near here, I'll shoot him! I swear it!"

"Albert!" Grams exclaimed. "You will do no such thing!"

"Now you've done it." Her dad muttered, polishing off his final dinner beer. He got up and was headed to the store to grab another 12 pack. It was routine. Beer, supper, beer, anything, beer. She zoned out the argument and finished her meal.

When she looked outside the window, Ed was standing at the end of the driveway in the road. Colette gave a sharp intake of breath. She wasn't actually expecting him to come. It was already seven. Late for a small town pop up. Late for dinner in general. "What?" Gramps was behind her. "What is-God damn it! That is it!" He opened the door and started yelling at the old man. The men exchanged words and then gramps met Ed on the road and started attacking him. He was strangling the poor man! Colette ran to help Ed. She heard a loud CRUNCH! Gramp's started howling. "The fucker bit me!"

Ed ran away yelling, "Death to your family!" That was a bit overdramatic and very weird.

The next day Ed was back, this time digging through the garbage of neighbors before the trucks came to take the garbage away. Colette threw the remaining little scraps from last night into the bins and brought Ed some lemonade and biscuits as she always did. He rejected her offer. It was the first time he had ever done that. Usually he would thank her and eat them right up with gratitude.

"You damn girl! Trying to kill me!" He accused. She was taken aback. "Just like your grandfather and your terrorist brother!" She dropped the glass of lemonade, it shattered as it hit the black top. She also slapped him hard across the face.

"Ed...." He stepped back and shook his finger in her face and then at the ground, his whole body shaking in anger and fear. What did he have to fear?

"You, you're doing it again!"

"Ed. Leave. You're drunk."

"I ain't drunk! You're violent! Just like the men in your family!" He ran away again, yelling "Death to your family!" Neighbors watched the scene. One asked what happened and if she was okay.

Colette honestly couldn't say for sure...

A/N
Hope you enjoyed chapter one! :) forgot to put this in the description buuuut this is dedicated to my zombie loving brother, Emery and former co-worker/good friend, Breiana. Also, the "cast" is:
Colette: Julianne Hough
Killian: Cam Gigandet
Cameron: Kellan Lutz
Jackie: Michelle Rodriguez