Chapter 4: Opening Ceremony

I was dragged into the room by the two female stylists. They stripped me so I was naked and measured me all over. Then after their measurements, they bathed me. I could bathe myself perfectly fine but apparently, it is a luxury to have someone bathe you in the Capitol. 

Once I was finished being bathed and everything, they dressed me in a robe and began to take down some notes. One of them left the room and came back in less than a minute. 

"Okay, darling. This is what we're going to do. Both you and your fellow tribute, Cato, will be dressed in pure gold armor.  I know right now it seems a bit odd but trust me, you'll recieve more sponsors. The more tough you look, the more sponsors you'll get." the stylist said. 

When it came time to get in our chariot, I was dressed in the golden armor suit and so was  Cato. 

"Nice armor, Clove!" Cato said to me when he walked up to me. He was dressed in the same exact thing. 

"Right back atcha, Cato." I said to him.

We got in the chariot and then out of nowhere, a buzzer went off and we started moving. District 1 went first and then we followed. The crowds were cheering like I've never heard before. We had to make the people like us so we both smiled and waved to everyone. That's when they really cheered. We were halfway down the path of chariots when I heard a gasp and then cheering louder than before. I turned around and saw the tributes from District 12. They were wearing fire capes and the crowd just loved it. I had to admit; they have pretty good costumes this year. But they definitely will not get as good scores as Cato and me in the training area. They've probably never even touched a sword or a weight. 

Once all the chariots had made it down to the semicircle, we all looked around at each other. I caught the eye of the girl from twelve and smirked at her. She was already dead to me. There were plenty of fourteen and thirteen-year olds this year. From where I was, I could only spot two twelve-year olds.

"Welcome, welcome," President Snow said silencing the crowd. "Tributes, we welcome you," 

Yeah, right. I thought. You wouldn't keep up these games if you really wanted us here. You just want to see twenty-four kids kill each other. 

"And we wish you a happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor." he finished. The chariots pulled us away. 

When we got back to where we got on the chariots, I spotted the tributes from twelve again and showed Cato. He gave them his angry face and punched his hand with his fist. The boy from twelve looked nervous but the girl showed no fear. Maybe she was blind. Who knows? Not me!