Chapter 11: Days 5 & 6

I woke up the following morning to the sound of birds chirping; mockingjays they sounded like.

I sat up on my sleeping bag and opened up my backpack to make sure all of my belongings were till there and they were. I wonder where Glimmer slept tonight with our camp blown up and all that. She isn't a very good climber. No one in District 1 is. Cato was never a very good climber either. Very few people in District 2 can climb like I can.

What was I going to do until I knew I was safe? Should I just wait here until there's only one tribute left to fight? Can I?

Wait, if I received medicine last night, there must've been a note from Holt in the parachute capsule.

I took the capsule out of my backpack and opened it up. Just as I thought, there was a note inside.

CLOVE

DON'T TRY TO SAVE THE OTHERS. YOU'VE ALREADY WON.

HOLT

I knew he'd be mad at me for trying I save Rue. But how could I leave a twelve-year old girl out for the fire to kill her? I didn't know she was already dead. Maybe she'd eaten something poisonous or became dehydrated. Who knows?

I wonder what Holt meant when he said I'd already won. I didn't win yet; there's still four other tributes left to kill. There's Glimmer, Peeta, the girl from five, and the boy from three. 

After a while of doing nothing but sitting on my sleeping bag, I decided to climb higher up in the tree to see if I could get a better view. My sleeping bag was already set up about twenty to thirty feet off the ground so I had nothing to worry about. I doubt anyone else in the arena can climb that high anyways.

When I got to the highest part of the tree, I looked around and was able to see the destroyed cornucopia. Glimmer was sitting on some of the rubble crying; probably because she's never suffered a loss as big as shelter before. Coming from District 1, the luxury district, I bet she feels like killing herself. When we went hunting, all she took was a spear. She didn't take her bow and arrows so evidently, her bow and arrows were destroyed in the explosion leaving her with only the spear she took yesterday. 

I looked around for other tributes and saw the boy from three still located at the edge of the woods. He wasn't very good at hiding obviously because I could see him not only here but from down on the ground. 

I haven't yet seen the girl from five or Peeta. Peeta's probably hiding as far away from everyone as possible with his injured leg. He can't run so what else can he do? I mean, Rue said that he won't survive much longer; that the infection'll kill him before any tribute can. 

I remember that the girl from five doesn't even have any weapons. What's her strategy? Has she even killed anyone yet? Maybe she's just a snitch. She'll steal other people's supplies and food and live off that. She's obviously very good at being a snitch if she's survived this long. Well, at least she can't steal from me anymore. My supplies and food is blown up. I'm sure she'll go to the cornucopia sometime sooner or later and get killed by Glimmer. 

After about three hours, it started to get dark. I looked at my watch and the time seemed to be speeding up. Just minutes ago it was almost 2 in the afternoon; now its dark. Nobody was killed today. The first day I haven't had to kill someone since the games began. It's probably because the gamemakers want it to end already. There's five tributes left and nobody even came in contact with another tribute all day. 

The anthem didn't play that night due to lack of fallen tributes.

Haha. Sorry, Gamemakers but I can take a personal day. It's not against the rules. I checked. Watch me as I take another.