Chapter 6: Interview Night/Last Night in the Capitol

I walked through the door to backstage to see Caesar talking to some reporter. Cato was with me so we just sat on an empty couch. 

"Nervous?" He asked me making no eye contact.

"No." I said to him angrily. "Why would I be nervous?"

"I don't know. Have you ever done interviews before?" he asked. "Oh, wait, that's right, you did one when you broke the knife throwing record in District 2 at thirteen years old. How could I forget?" 

"Hey, what's up with you? I didn't do anything." I said defending myself. 

"Sorry, it's just I can't believe I got an eight in training. Even the girl from District 12 got a higher score than me! She got a ten! And that puny kid from District 4, he got a nine. Do you know how many sponsors I've lost? I used to have ten sponsors, now I have three. This trip has not been fun for me. I just can't wait until tomorrow when we can finally start killing some people. I told you before, I'm killing the boy from 6 first." He said. 

"Fine, just calm down though. Caesar'll be starting the show any second and you are the fourth one on after me." I said. Cato nodded his head. 

At seven o'clock, the show started. Glimmer was first and she pranced out onto the stage in her sparkly, fluffy, short, pink dress. Her blonde hair had sparkles in it too. I guess they really wanted her name to reflect her style. 

"So, Glimmer, are you excited and prepared for what's coming for you tomorrow?" Caesar asked her. 

"Yes, Caesar, I'm very prepared. I've been waiting to be in the games my whole life. When my name was picked at the reaping, I was so excited that I'd finally get to represent my district in the Hunger Games." Glimmer said to Caeser. 

"Is it true that your younger sister was chosen last year?" he asked her. 

"Unfortunately, yes. She was only twelve and had no idea about what was coming for her. It was devastating to see her be killed. That's why I'm going to win the games and win them for her." Glimmer said proudly. Really, Glimmer? If your sister was killed in the games last year and she was trained in the same training facility as you, then you must be pretty bad. Not saying that a training score of eight is horrible, but you know what I mean. 

After her interview with Caesar, Glimmer pranced happily off the stage. Marvel walked on as soon as she'd left. 

"Ah! Marvel! So great to see you young man," Caesar greeted Marvel hugging him. 

After Marvel's interview, it was my turn. I walked out onto the stage with a smile on my face and waved to the audience. There must've been a million people there. Luckily, I don't get stage fright.

"Clove! You look stunning! Have a seat!" Caesar said to me taking my hand and kissing it. Yuck. I smiled anyway. "So, we're all very impressed with your score from training. What was your reaction when you heard you got an eleven?"

"I was freaking out. I thought I'd get a nine because that's the average score for a tribute from District 2 but when I saw the eleven, I was just so happy and glad that I lived past my expectations." I said. 

"Wonderful, wonderful," Caesar said. "How does your family feel about you participating in the games this year?"

"They're so supportive of me and were thrilled to know that I was going to volunteer this year. My younger brother just had this look on his face when he heard I was going to volunteer and it was like I was everything he wanted to be in life. I really love my family and I know I'm going to make them proud." I say. 

"Indeed you will," Caesar said. That's when he realized our time was up. "Well, Clove, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you and I can't wait to see you win the Hunger Games!" 

"Thank you, Caesar. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you as well." I said. 

"Clove Kentwell everybody!" Caesar said. I smiled and waved at the audience as I left the stage. 

That night, I could hardly sleep but I knew I had to. I wouldn't be able to sleep much in the games for the next week or so. Cato's interview hadn't gone as well as he thought it should. I thought it was fine though. Holt, Silver, and I had to have a talk with him afterwards to make sure he wouldn't lash out at me and completely ruin the strategy I came up with. He ended up swearing on his own life that he wouldn't ruin our plan for the games and went to bed quickly afterwards.

I looked out my window from my bed and saw the city lights flashing with all of the faces of the tributes for this year's Hunger Games. Soon enough, I fell asleep and dreamt of what it would be like to live in the Victor's Village with Holt and all the other victors from District 2. That's definitely where my family belongs and deserves to live.