My Cat Talks To Me

~Sadie's POV, 4 years later~

I take my keys out of my bag, I make my way around the loop until I find my home key. I stick it into the lock and twist before pushing my door open and dropping my bags onto the hard wood floor. I hang my keys and coat up before slipping off my new shoes.

I walk into my kitchen and look around for Charlie. "Charlie! Hello?" I call out, wondering where she could be. I sigh and look at the Calander on the fridge. Right, she has a bio-chem lab.

Suddenly a small, soft thing is pressing against my left leg. I grin and bend down, picking up Socks. I cradle him in my arms and kiss his forehead. "Why? Why do humans do that?" I hear and looks around. Where did that voice come from?

"Down here Sadie!" Socks somehow says. My eyes go wide as my black and white cat talks. To me. Right here. I gasp and drop him.

"Ow! Next time warn me!" Socks hisses and struts away, walking all the way to his food bowl. "How? What? Socks? What? How? Huh?" I stutter, the shock rooting me into place.

Socks casually looks up at me "What? I could always talk. You just couldn't hear me." he accuses and swooshes his tail like he was saying *duh*. I slowly take a step in his direction. I can hear my cat talk. I can hear my cat laugh.

"I don't bite. Well actually I sometimes do. But cmon, I'm a nice cat" Socks purrs, his ears were turned back with pride. Finally I reached him and bent down so I was closer to him.

"So... You can talk?" I ask quietly, my voice barely a whisper. I tilt my head to the side, maybe I'm just going crazy. Maybe my nightmares and flashbacks have lead me to complete lunatic and psychotic behaviour. Socks purrs and walks around my legs.

"Thats right. Me, Bubbles, Susan, even that dog that attacked you a few years ago or whatever" Socks says happily, his voice still mixing with his soft purrs. At the mention of the dog I go back to a place in my mind. A dreaded place.

-flashback to the incident-

The dog lunges at me and I gasp, taking a step back and hitting the cold brick wall. It advances even more before finally taking one last step and pouncing.

I scream as loud as I can, the dog scratching that my legs before sinking it's teeth into my flesh and biting. Again and again the dog bites. I scream even louder. No one shows up.

I fumble with my purse, finally grabbing some pepper spray. It's empty. I start to cry, a single warm and salty tear dripping onto the pavement while my blood curdling screams get ignored by people in the buildings.

I look down and cry even harder, the sight of bone and blood, dirt and fur making me gag. I almost throw up when the dog rips a chunk of my flesh off of me. Luckily he'd had his fill.

I lay there. The noise of cars almost lulling me to sleep. But no. I can't die, not like this. The dogs gone. He left. I need to live. I can do this. I can do this.

-Flashback over-

I bite my tongue, clench my jaw, and spin around on my heel. I pick up my cell phone and call Charlie. She will know what to do.