Happy ever After

CHAPTER 1- BRAVE

(Alex's Point Of View)
My name is Alex Mandrakis, I was born in January 17th 1997, I have two older brother, Hansel and Liam. I also have a younger sister, Charlotte,she's a year younger than me, my oldest brother Hansel is 24 years old, he is now study at Harvard to becoming a lawyer, my second Brother Liam is two years older than me, he's a freshmen at USC, he got there because of his football scholarship, he love playing football following my father footstep. My father Edward was a professional football player he retired now and become a football coach for California Golden Bears, well my mother, Catherine work as a Chef, she had a famous restaurant in the city called Freya's House, I live in California by the way... everything was perfect, we all happy, until the day I turn 7, it was in my birthday party when suddenly I coughing out blood, I still can remember the feeling of that pain, my parents took me to the hospital and the doctor began an MRI scan, an ultrasound and an ECG. Then the doctor reveal the nightmare to my parents, I have a cancer, Lung Cancer, Pulmonary Carcinoma. Surgery after surgery I passed, since that day Hospital become my second home, the doctor have tried everything, Chemo, Radiotherapy but none of it have any effect on the cancer cell, it has spread throughout my body, I just want to give up but it's a miracle I still breathe until now.
It's Thanksgiving all of my family gather around together, My sister come with her boyfriend, Lucas Harrington. Luke is actually one of my best friend since I was little, he's like a brother to me. I was sitting on a wheelchair and see my family chatting, laughing and singing. Especially my brother, Liam. He's in a complicated problem, Liam and I actually very close. He's the one that took care of me since I got diagnosed with cancer, he never keep anything from me.
"Hey bro!" he gently rub my back," are you tired?"
"No, I'm fine...thank you!" I answer.
He grab a chair and sit beside me," Alex, I need your advice!"
"What is it?"
"You know that I'm dating Caroline..."
"Wait, You dating Caroline, Caroline Reed?"
"Yes, wait...listen to me I haven't finish...So, I like Caroline... I really do... I care deeply for her and....i met this guy...his name is Ben Harris...his new...I'm not gay... but when I look at him I feel the same way as I feel about Caroline..."
"And you confuse?" I look at him.
"Yeah..."
"Liam..." I touch his hand," Do whatever you want that make you happy...whether is with Caeroline or this guy Ben... Sometimes all you can do it just sit back and let time decided."
"Thanks! You're the best...baby bro! and don't tell anyone yet that I'm probably a bisexual."
"It's not my place to tell them...I can only offer support."
" Yeah...anyway...I'm going to mess with baby sist new boyfriend..." I just roll my head and laugh, he stand up and kiss my back head...I hear him calling Luke," Yo! Harrington!" Hansel then approach me," Hey! What you talking about with Liam?"
"Nothing, Just some advices."
He drink his beer," So, Alex....How're you feeling?"
"A little tired but anything else are fine..."
"Come on... let's get you something to eat...I heard mum calling." He stand up and a push my wheelchair to the dining table, I sit on the right side of Dad, it was like a warm family dinner and everyone seems to be very happy until I cough, I close my mouth with a napkin while I cough, I look at it and there is a blood on it and everyone look worry," I'm okay...Just continue! Mum, I'm tired!" mum then come to me and push my wheelchair," Come On, Alex...let's get you to bed..."
Mum help me to bed and then tuck me like I was a child, "Mum, Did I was a burden to you, to dad, Hansel, Liam, Charlotte?"
"Nonsense, Alex...you're not a burden in fact, you're a miracle to us...to taught us how to be strong, none of us fought as hard as you." I can see a tears coming from her eyes while talking, she then kiss my forehead," You should get some sleep, Night Alex!" she kiss me again and walk to the door, turn off the light," Good night, Mum...I love you!"
"Love you too sweetie!" She turn off the light and close the door, I move my body to the side and close my eyes.
(Liam's Point Of View)
"Bro, You got to see this!" Hansel handed me a piece of paper," What is this?"
"Cancer research center for Alex!"
"You should talk to mum and dad about this tho..." I give back the paper," Want some beer?"
"Sure!" I walk to the fridge and grab two bottle of beer. I give one bottle to Hansel," So, How things with Valerie?"
"It's great!"
"Cool, Anyway...I'm going to check on Alex!" I walk to Alex's bedroom, I open the door and saw Alex sleeping on a bed, I walk closely to him, an oxygen was placed on his nose to help him breathe and sleep, I grab his hand," I'm sorry for the things you went through...!!" I can feel a tears coming from my eyes, I still remember before Alex felt sick he was a healthy boy, we used to play at the backyard while Hansel watching over us, now....he three times smaller than, you can see his ribs visible, his skin pale. I kiss his forehead," I miss you, Lexy..."
I sit next to Alex, watching him sleeping...
I left his room and let him sleeping and went back to the kitchen, mum was washing the dishes, I hug her from behind and kiss her, she just smiling and laughing, then I grab a chips and walk to family room and saw Hansel and Dad watching football then I join him, "Where's Charlotte?"
"Outside with Luke."
"Liam, Go check them!" I moaning and stand up," I just sit, Dad!"
"Liam!!" I go to the porch and saw Luke sitting on the bench with Charlotte sleeping on his laps," Babe, it's getting late, I think I should head home!"
"Yeah!" Charlotte rises and make out with Luke, then he left, Charlotte walk to the door, when she open it I was behind the door," Liam, What the hell are you doing?Are you spying on me!"
"Baby sist, Dad told me to check on you."
"I'm going head to my room." She walk to the stairs and went to her bedroom.
(Charlotte's Point Of View)
I took out my cellphone and it show, 11:27 PM. I change my clothes into comfortable pajamas and jump into the bed, and besides tomorrow is Friday, I have to go to school to prepare the dance. I immediately fall asleep. in the middle of my sleep I was awake by the sound downstairs, I look at the my phone and its 2:20 am. I grab a robe and go outside my room, then I heard my brother Hansel," Liam, Get the car ready!"
I saw Liam open the door to outside, then I heard mother crying downstairs, while father holding her in his arms. Then I saw Hansel carrying Alex get into the car.
(Hansel's Point Of View)
Me, father and Liam were there watching some recording football match, it's 2:15 am. Liam felt asleep on a couch so does father. I go to check on Alex before go into my bedroom, when I open the door, I notices Alex sleeping on his back, I touch his back and I can't feel that he's breathing. I try to wake him but he's not waking up. I panic, "Please God, Not yet" then I call everyone," MUM!DAD! LIAM!" then I sees Liam come in, "Hansel, What's going on?"
"He's not breathing!" I answer him.
"Ooo...GOD!" then he call mother.
Mother came in running," Go Get your father!" she ordered.
"Liam, Get the car ready!" I throw car key to Liam. I woke father, he run to Alex's bedroom and try to shake Alex but no sign. Mother cried," Please, Alex, my baby...Came back!" I carry Alex and get into the car, I put Alex on the back seat with Liam while I drove to Hospital, ignoring every single traffic law, then arrives at the hospital, Liam carry Alex we get inside the hospital the nurses put him into the bed," What's his name?" the nurse asked.
"Alex, Alexander Mandrakis..." I answer.
"What are your relationship with the patients?"
"Brothers, we're his brother!"
"Name?"
"Hansel Joel Mandrakis and he, William Mandrakis."
"Can I see some I.D?" just when I want to took out my wallet to show I. D, someone call us," Hansel! Liam!"
"Doctor Phillips!" Doctor Phillips is Alex's doctor, he's been taking care of Alex since the first day he got diagnosed, then Mom, Dad and Charlotte arrived at the hospital," Joseph, How is him?"
"He's stabile for now..." there sense of relieved on us.
"What's going on with him?" Mother asked him.
"The Cancer cell spread to his heart, we will start some surgery early this morning to prevent some further spread of the cancer but we need some of your signature."
Me and Charlotte then walk to the see him through the glass, he have this tube all over him to help him breathe.
"So much pain for someone so young!" I heard someone say that behind me," Excuse me!"
"You must be Hansel Mandrakis, I'm dr. Isabelle Salvatore, Alex's new Oncologist."
"What's happen to Dr. Leah?"
"She's my mother, retired." Dr. Salvatore is a woman in her middle 30s, tall, blonde hair and a nice lady.

"I can't tell, if the cell spread at this rate, God Knows how long!" she rub my back while I was crying then she just go.

I feel asleep there outside Alex's room, then I heard a noise coming, it's mum's sister, Aunt Lizzie," Hansel, I brought some breakfast, you have to eat."

"I'm not hungry, Where's Liam?"

"He's taking Charlotte home..."