Taiga

"Crap!" Yelled out John as he stumbled into a cave going into the ground.

The three who remained on their feet looked down at the gaping hole. They snickered to themselves. Just a moment ago, Jackie had warned him about taking a wrong step, but of course, no one ever really paid attention to her.

"Hah!" She laughed at him.

"Shut up and help me! I think I'm stuck." He yelled from the dark.

"I'll help you, John." Said Andrea opening her pack, "Be there in a bit. Let me get my flashlight."

Andrew and Jackie were left alone up above, while Andrea carefully made her way down the hole. She stumbled on some loose rocks, but quickly regained her steps. For a skinny, paraniod girl, she was determined.

She pointed the bright light farther down the cave, when she finally saw John. He was on his back, with his foot dug into a small crater. He held his ankle trying to get it out. Andrea sighed and bent down to dig him out. She began digging into the ground when she heard a yell from up above. It was Andrew, of course.

"What's going on up there?!" Questioned John, "Are you two fine?"

"No!" Answered Jackie.

They heard the clashing of metal from Andrew's sword, then it hit the ground with a loud thud.

Jackie yelped as they listened to her body jump from one side to the other. They were in serious trouble, so Andrea dug quicker into the ground trying to free John.

Jackie had jumped to the side, grabbing for Andrew's sword and covering him from the beast they encountered. A sphinx appeared out of nowhere, snarling at the unsuspecting couple. Jackie drew Andrew's sword and guarded his shaking body.

"No. Keep away Sphinx." She pointed her sword and walked towards her, "Leave us. Our friend has fallen into your home. He is recovering and we will soon be on our way."

The sphinx blinked and smiled evilly at the small girl.

"Why would I let you just get away?" She asked waging her tail on the soft grass. "How about this," she paused, "I'll tell you a riddle. If you figure it out then you'll be free to go. If not...well be warned, I am very hungry."

Her voice like nails in Jackie's ears as she turned around to see Andrea was still trying to dig out John. She turned back to the giant lion lady and nodded.

"Fine, we have a deal." She agreed, smiling to herself.

Anyone who knew Jackie enough would've known how much she enjoyed riddles. She smiled at the Sphinx and nodded.

"Well human," it started, "what is greater than god, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich need it, and if you eat it, you'll die by it?"

Jackie looked down at Andrew and thoughts of various answers filled her mind. Her mind picked at the words, tryig to find a solution. She could figure this out. She knew she had to.

She looked back down at the struggling John and Andrea. Only their groans of frustration were heard. Then suddenly the sound of rock breaking was filled in the air. The air held still as John and Andrea made their way up from the cave.

She turned back to Andrew who had fallen near the baby creatures. The Gryphon was defending the Hydra. It snarled at the Sphinx, and the Sphinx simply ignored it.

Jackie saw the Sphinx growing impatient and smiled at her. She was ready to answer.

"The answer," she started, "is nothing."