Gatherings

It was the beginning of the new year and every Sophomore was extremely excited, worldwide. Their precious baby creatures were about to be given to them. They all squealed as they recieved their adorable wrapped baby.

Each person had a different one than their friends. Usually there is enough to be given uniquely, but the number is still limited.

Everyone knew what they were supposed to do once given their baby. Each student had to find the gem. It depended on the school whether to straight away give the gem, or to let the students play a game. They were to find their gem throughout the campus. Usually only public schools did that.

In Buena Park High School, the staff decided to let the students play as they admired their newborn creatures.

Andrea Hylton, a skinny girl, who decided to keep her creature wrapped closely to search. She didn't want her baby to be hurt. She promised herself in junior high that she'd take care of it no matter what.

As a gem glinted in the football field, a smile spread across her pale face. Andrea ran towards the purple light and grabbed at it. She quickly held an end of the gem and lightly set it on her naga's head. The baby naga cutely yawned and stretched its stubby, scaly arms. His tail drooping through the blanket now as he tried getting more comfortable. Andrea watched in awe as her baby naga woke up. He was now hers to keep and care for. As she cuddled the adorable snake-human, she heard her friend call for her.

"Andrea! You woke him up! Let me see him!" Her loud friend, Jackie, said.

Jackie was her best friend, and she loved her but she could be loud for Andrea's liking.

"Be quiet!" Andrea yelled-whispered at her.

"Oh sorry..." She said blushing, "Well let me see him!"

Andrea pulled back at the blanket slightly concealing her naga. The naga was looking around curiously and smiled at Andrea. The girls both thought he was adorable.

"What are you going to name him?" Jackie asked looking at the naga.

They both noted how rare he looked. He was a white naga. His scales were a pale, shiny white. He had a king cobra's hood. On his tiny baby chest, was a red jewel. All nagas had a jewel, which made them valuable if killed in the wild.

Andrea answered the question, "Vincent. I'll call him Vincent."

"That's a cute name." Jackie said smiling at her friend, "Look! I have my baby too!"

She excitidely held her baby gryphon. He was a golden brown and had big purple eyes. He squeaked and growled at Andrea. Andrea then noticed the red jewel around Jackie's neck. She was happy for her friend.

"Do you think John found his jewel yet? What does he even have?" Jackie asked.

Andrea hadn't remembered John telling her anything about it. She did know that he was excited to see what he'd get.

As the two friends walked back onto the quad to wait for the rest of the school, they played with their babies. Many students gathered around as well, playing with the adorable fluffy, scaly, tiny, fair-sized creatures they were given. No one was ever sad or dissapointed in the creature they were given. Each person went around their own group of friends complimenting the babies. They all shared conversations on the plans for their creatures.

As Andrea and Jackie waited, they noticed the other classes of students coming out. They did this every year, to speak of how we have to take care of the adorable creatures. Andrea laughed as her friend Jackie freaked out over where her boyfriend was. She always did it and it made Andrea laugh.

"There he is! Andrew!" She yelled with her booming voice, not caring of the curious eyes looking their way.

As she signaled him Andrea pulled on Jackie when she noticed the most adorable thing. Jackie seemed annoyed until she saw what caught Andrea's attention.

"Oh my god!! Puppy!" She screamed scurrying the way of a puppy cerberus.

The three-headed dog yelped as it was resting on its owner chest. It slept peacefully, despite the loud crowd around it. The owner of the puppy would've scared Andrea in any normal cicumstance, but he had a puppy.

"Oh my god, Daniel! You have puppy Cerberus!" Jackie squealed as she gushed over the fluffy hellhound.

Andrea simply patted the puppy and giggled. Daniel seemed annoyed by the reaction of the two girls.

"Yeah. He's cute now, but he'll be terrifying in a few years, you'll see." He said in monotone.

As they petted the puppy more, the crowd of kids became bigger, making it clear that the assembly was about to start. They excused themselves from Daniel and left to find their friends.

They spotted Callie, a dancer with short brown hair, standing by their orginal spot, speaking with Andrew. As they went closer, they saw the adorable three-headed hydra owned by Andrew. Jackie always squealed around baby animals.

"Hey Callie. Where's your animal?" Andrea asked sweetly.

She smiled and turned to them to reveal a small lump of cloth holding a baby unicorn. The little mare whinnied and looked around with big black eyes. It was majestic and Andrea freaked out a little.

"Oh! A mare unicorn! How cute! What's his name?" She asked.

"Sparkle."

"Of course." Andrew rudely commented.

Jackie elbowed him and asked, "Where's John?"

They all looked at each other in wonder, when a little pattering was heard behind them. Andrew stiffened as a small fluffy creature, somehow made its way up his back and onto his head. It was a bunny jackalope. It was a light brown and had tiny stubs on its head, the fur making it hard to see the stumps.

"Olive! Don't run off!" They heard a deep yet cracky voice say.

"Well, there he is." Andrew said still looking uncomftorable with a bunny on his head.

"Sorry guys. Olive is very energetic. She should be fine now." John grabbed his little furball off Andrew and cradled him in his blanket. The tiny bunny insantly coward into John's hands and slept.

Andrea peered over into John's crossed arms to see the bunny. It was sound asleep and smaller now that it was curled up.

"Hey Andrea!" He said excitidly, "This is Olive, and who do you have there?" He asked looking at the small baby naga.

The baby giggled at John and flailed its tiny arms about. The hood opened as he laughed, showing off his beautiful white scales and tiny strands of his white hair.

"This is Vincent. Isn't he the cutest?" She said cuddling him closer to her face.

John didn't have a chance to answer as the assembly started. Everything was fine, however, seeing as everyone was satisfied with their introductions of creatures. They all recieved a creature that day, except Andrew. He was a year older than any of them so he already had her.

After the assembly they went off to class, where there wouldn't be much learning. Just showing off, cuddling, and debating on who had the toughest looking creature.