Chapter 1: The Steps

CALEB'S POV 

"Caleb!!!! Get the HELL out of the bathroom, you aren't the only one who needs to get ready for school, you know!"

"Shut the fuck up Ali! It's not my fault you woke up late....again!" I yelled back over the loud pounding on the door. God, she can be so annoying in the morning. Such a princess. 

I shove past her as I open the door,  ignoring her attempt at an evil glare. I'm not going to lie, I take a bit of pleasure in riling her up like this sometimes; It's just too easy! It's not that I don't like her, Ali is actually pretty cool as far as sisters go, or step-sister,  I guess that is the right term, but she just always seems so on edge, she needs to let loose a little bit! And as her older and wiser step-brother, isn't it my job to make sure she loosens up a bit?! 

I think so, too....

I have known Ali since we were kids, our parents were friends and we grew up a block from each other. We were pretty close when we were young, play dates while our parents hung out, typical kid stuff. Then her dad got cancer and the visits were fewer and far between, until he died a few years ago. I went to the funeral, and I tried to talk to her, but what does someone say when you are 12 and your old friends dad just died? There was nothing to say, so I gave her a hug and never said another word about it. 

It's not like I wasn't going through something, too. My parents started to fight, and the next thing I knew my mom moved out and went to California to "find herself" or some bullshit. Which was honestly fine with me, I was closer with my dad, John, anyways. And Ali's mom, Kelly, is actually pretty awesome. She never hovers or tries to be in my business, she is a good cook and makes my dad really happy, so I'm not complaining. They got married over the summer, which was a total shocker. Neither Ali or me knew they were anything more than old friends all these years! Apparently over time their friendship turned more into love. 

I am however, complaining about the sudden shared bathroom with Ali. Talk about a girl takeover!  At least I am beating her to breakfast today, for being such a tiny thing, she can eat almost as much as me.  I get some eggs and toast right as she bounces into the room in her normal daily attire: skinny jeans, converse and a t shirt. The girl needs some style, poor thing. Maybe I can get Madison to take her shopping. Madison, my girlfriend, is good at that kind of thing. She is a senior and the captain of the cheer team. She is as hot as Megan Fox, and a senior. No senior girls date Juniors like me, but hey...I am the quarterback of the football team and took us to state last year, so why wouldn't she want me? I am kind of a big deal around school and soon will be in college, too. I've been getting lots of interest from colleges. Madison doesn't know where she is going yet, she is more beauty than brains, but I am sure she will get a cheer scholarship somewhere. 

"Hurry up and get in the car Ali, we are already going to be late!" I yell as she slides past me in the kitchen to get her breakfast. She just rolls her eyes and muttered something under her breath.

 I let her listen to Katy Perry in the car today, usually I let her pick what we listen to every other day or so,  just to prove to her I can be nice. We don't usually talk, she usually just sits there on her phone texting or something. Not that she has that many friends, or much of a social life at all, so who she is talking to so much is beyond me.  

We finally get to school and park and as soon as the engine is off I am out the door to meet up with Madison and my best friends Dylan and Skylar, and the rest of the group. Dyl and Sky have been my best friends since we were little. We all played football and baseball and pretty much ruled the school. 

"Okay, well have a nice day to you too, asshole!" I hear Ali mumble as I wave to my friends. I pretend I didn't hear, she is such a princess sometimes, what the hell? Then I see Madison and forget all about Ali and her weird moods.

~

Ali's POV

Today sucks, and I mean really sucks. Not only did I wake up late....again! But I forgot my biology homework on my desk at home and know Mr. Simons won't take that as an excuse. Doesn't being a perfect student count for anything? Then Caleb had to hog the bathroom, as usual. I swear that guy takes more time to get ready than a prom queen. Not that he needs to do anything, he is like a young Brad Pitt; perfect body, perfect hair and perfect face. I on the other hand, need time to create something out of my rats nest of hair and plain Jane face. 

Caleb doesn't even have to try. Any girl in our school would date him, he is already dating the most gorgeous  girl in all of Georgia, I swear. Madison has the longest tan legs, gorgeous long blonde hair and is actually decently nice. At least I am smarter than her, I mean looks fade right?

I know it sounds weird that I notice how hot my brother is, but he IS my step-brother, we aren't blood related or anything. Plus, I have kind of been in love with him since we were kids. So this whole living together and being semi-related thing is definitely not the most fun I have ever had. I mean, it is literally torture to be in my house. He is perfect, and always has been.

 When we were little our parents were friends and so we used to hang out when they had dinner and stuff. We were actually pretty close, until my dad died and his parents started to fight and got divorced. Then we stopped talking or seeing each other, but I still had a crush on him from afar. Until one day our parents started to secretly date and then decided they loved each other and got married two months ago.  Now we are one big happy family living under the same roof. And I get to share a bathroom with the most popular guy in school who I have fantasized about since I can even remember.

The car ride to school is quiet, except for Katy Perry blasting in my ears. Caleb let me listen to something I would like today, which he sometimes does. Which is nice and all, but all I can think about in the car with him is how awkward I feel. We have only been his step-siblings for two months, and its only been two weeks into the school year. I don't really have anything to talk to him about and he doesn't make an effort  either, so I just sit and play on my phone, hoping he won't notice how uncomfortable I really feel around him. 

I can see him look at my phone from the corner of my eye, so I lock the screen quickly and look out the window so he doesn't see that I am only fiddling on Facebook. 

We finally get to school and I swear I almost get whiplash from how quickly he gets out of the car. We may get along okay at home. but I don't think he is a huge fan of having me as his step-sister at school yet. We don't speak at school, we don't avoid each other exactly, but we just don't acknowledge each other either.

"Okay, you have a good day too, asshole!" I mutter as he practically runs over to Madison and her highly inappropriate cleavage. Would it REALLY kill him to say goodbye?

Only a year and a half until college. That is what I keep telling myself. I will get into USC and be far away from my messed up love for my asshole step-brother. I just have to keep my head down, study and go to dance class and time will fly.....I hope.

****** HEY GUYS! I HOPE YOU LIKED MY FIRST CHAPTER! PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK AND LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT A SECOND CHAPTER. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME WRITING AND I WILL GO BACK IN THE MORNING AND EDIT IT, BUT I WANTED TO GET IT OUT AND SEE IF ANYONE LIKES IT! THANKS GIYS!!******