Chapter 5: alcohol can't keep secrets

Ali's POV

I hate Madison Murphy. 

Seriously, who does this bitch think she is? Standing there in her skanky short skirt and tiny, revealing tank top making out with my Caleb. I know, I know, he isn't MINE. But he  was my friend first, and he is my step-brother and not to mention my very secret and not so low key crush for the last.....well forever. 

And she just stands there like nothing is wrong, like everything she said in the bathroom earlier with Rick is just fine and dandy. Yeah, who cares if she is going to break the heart of someone I really care for. 

I hate her. 

I am also kind of drunk. Three beers and I am tipsy, really tipsy. Thank God Dylan is holding my hand or I would fall over. Wait, why is Dylan holding my hand?

"Hey Dyl, hey Ali" Madison finally speaks. 

Dylan is still finding this hallway make out entertaining, "Seriously, you guys can use my room upstairs" 

I am staring dagars into Madison's face as I look at her. She seems kind of uncomfortable, and then I realize everyone is looking at me. 

"You ok Ali?" Caleb asks me suddenly when I  wobble a little. 

"No" I say fatly still staring at Madison

"Are you sick? Did you have too much to drink? Do you need anything? Dylan asks concerned

Oh shoot, don't tell them what you saw. Don't do this. It's not your business, let them deal with it. 

Too late...

"Why don't you ask Madison what is wrong" I say

"What? How would I know what is wrong with you Ali? Madison says with a confused face

"Well, maybe we should get Rick in here and you guys can explain together Madison" Now that I have started, I gotta finish. I am not letting this stupid, selfish, whore get away with what she did. 

"What are you talking about?!" She yells, stepping closer to me. 

Okay, maybe this wasn't the best plan. I am really not the confrontational type, ESPECIALLY with senior girls who are dating my step-brother. Crap, Ali. Crap. 

"If you are talking about Rick selling Madison weed, she already told me that" Caleb defends her. 

What is he talking about? Weed? 

"What are you talking about" I finally look away from Madison to Caleb, realizing I am still holding Dylan's hand. 

"I saw her getting out of Rick's car and she already told me why, okay? So mind your business Ali" Caleb's tone was tight and angry. I felt bad for the next blow I had to give him, but like I said, I already started it. 

I laugh out loud and look back at Madison, who has a smug look on her face. No doubt she is happy thinking she fooled her dear little Caleb for another day and that I will shut up. Boy, does she have a surprise in store for her. 

I am about to open my mouth and put her in her place when I feel the bile rising in my throat. Oh no, oh no, oh no.....I need a restroom NOW. 

"Bathroom" I say quickly and run down the hall to the closest bathroom and slam the door behind me. 

I spend the next 20 minutes heaving into the porcelain throne, wishing more than anything I hadn't drank tonight. What was I thinking?  I rinse out my mouth with water and look at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes are watering from puking so my dark mascara and eye liner is all over my face. My hair is stuck to my head and its not cute. I do my best to clean myself up before taking out my phone and texting the girls that I am going home. 

I open the bathroom door and see Dylan waiting for me with a very concerned look on his face. Great, he has to see me like this. 

"Are you okay?" He hands me a cup of water, "this will make you feel better". 

I take it, grateful for the cool liquid washing away the bad taste in my mouth. "Thanks". 

An awkward silence fell on us, "Well, thanks for inviting me Dylan, but I think I am going to head home now". I start to walk towards the front door knowing Dylan is following me. I reach the front and see Madison and Caleb lingering there talking while holding hands. 

"Ali, I can walk you home. It's too late to walk alone" Dylan says coming up from behind me. 

This brings Madison and Caleb's attention to me and I suddenly feel all eyes on me again. Madison is glaring at me, and if only looks could kill; I would be a dead girl. Caleb has a hard expression on his face. His eyes are dark and guarded, I can tell he is pissed at me but wouldn't dare talk about it with me here. I am sure I'll get a piece of his mind tomorrow. Great, me and my big mouth....

"I can drive her, we were just leaving anyways" Caleb says, and the look on Madison's face is pure disgust at this suggestion. 

No way in hell am I getting in a car with those two. 

"No. I think fresh air would be good for me right now" And with that I walk through the front door, not caring is Dylan follows me of not.  

Sure enough he is behind me, "Wait up Al! I will walk you!" 

I slowdown and turn around to see him jogging up behind me with a big grin on his face. He really is attractive. Big, blue eyes and dark hair, perfect white teeth and a lopsided smile. Any girl would be lying if they said he wasn't attractive. 

"Thanks" I say as we fall into step walking side by side, arms brushing as we go. 

"You sure you are okay?" He asks looking over at me. 

"I am fine" 

"You don't seem fine, that was quite the outburst back there. I don't think I have every seen you quite so wound up!"

"Y-yeah, I shouldn't have had so much to drink, that's all" I lie, hoping he won't push the topic. 

"Huh - well in my experience alcohol usually makes people more honest, not less. You seemed to really want to dig in on Madison" 

Fuck, he noticed that?  How do I get out of this? 

"Madison is always nice to me, I shouldn't have talked to her like that. I don't even know what I was saying" I look over at him and his adorable lopsided smile. 

"Whatever you say, Ali" 

We walk the next few blocks in a comfortable silence. I am too tired to try to make polite conversation, and I am too distracted by what happened at the party and the consequences I will face at home with Caleb to really try to fake anything around Dylan. I must have been so caught up in thinking that I didn't realize I was shivering, because the next thing I know is Dylan has put his hoodie over my shoulders. 

"Thanks" I say with a shy smile. That was really nice of him, and it smells like fresh laundry and his cologne. I suddenly have butterflies in my stomach and feel nervous. 

Soon we are at my house, Dylan walks me to the door as I unlock it and step inside he stays right at the edge or the doorway with his hands in his pockets, looking sheepish. 

"Thanks for walking me home, Dyl, and sorry for making a scene at your party...." He probably never wants to invite me to one again after my hideous performance. 

"Of course! I'm glad you came. Next time we just won't give you quite so much to drink" He winks. 

Next time? Maybe he doesn't think I am a total wacko after all. 

"Well, I better get back to my party and make sure no one burns the place down, goodnight Ali"

"Goodnight Dylan" I smile. 

"Wait!" I say as he hits the bottom step of my porch. "Your hoodie!" I start to unzip it to give it back now that I am home. 

"You keep it for now. Give it back at school some time". And then he walks away and turns towards his house. 

Dylan Walker just let me keep his hoodie. And winked at me. And walked me home. I am in heaven. So what is Caleb is going to yell at me to mind my business and who cares if Madison hates me?