Chapter 6: Suspicions

Caleb's POV

I was currently driving Madison home from the party listening to her go on and on about Ali. I waited a good hour before driving, I hadn't had much to drink at the party and so I waited to sober up until I drove. 

After Ali stormed out with Dylan close on her heels, Madison had gone into a hissy fit about how much she hated Ali and hasn't stopped since. 

"Who does your stupid step-sister think she is?! Telling me of all people that I am shady. Does she know who I am? She should have a little respect for a senior, and for your girlfriend" She was still talking, she never stopped talking. 

"Seriously, I will ruin her..." she mumbles out the window, finally slowing down on her rant. 

Don't get me wrong, if I were Madison I would be pissed about the way Ali acted as well, she all but accused her of being shady, really not cool. But mostly. really not like Ali. Everything about tonight was totally unlike Ali. First she showed up wearing that tiny skirt and revealing tank top, every guy was looking at her; she was hot, but never showed it off like she did tonight, what was that about? And why did it bother me. I didn't like other guys looking at her like that. Then she gets wasted, too wasted, and flirts with my best friend. She held hands with my best friend, what the hell? I don't like that either.  And finally, she yells at Madison when she usually gives her no attention other than a polite hello. Something is going on with Ali, which needs to be discussed, but more importantly WHY do I care? 

Suddenly I realize what Madison said, "You will NOT do any such thing" I say sternly, keeping my eyes on the road. "She is my step-sister, and just because she got drunk and yelled at you doesn't mean I am okay with you doing anything back. So just drop it." 

"Drop it? Are you serious right now? She isn't even your real sister and you are defending her over me?!" 

Thank God Madison is hot, because I swear sometimes she is the biggest idiot. 

I sigh, "I am not defending her, Mad. I am just saying that she never drinks and something obviously got into her. Why don't you talk to her on Monday and if she is still acting like that we can talk about it." I look over and her and she doesn't look convinced. "Please? For be babe?" I add. 

"Fine, but she better apologize." she mutters bitterly. 

Thank God, I will just get Ali to say sorry tomorrow when he wakes up sober and this will be done with. 

****

I wake up without an alarm and look at the time. 

9:00am. Why do I always get up early even on weekends?

I slowly get up and make my way to the kitchen for some breakfast, I can hear someone in there and I smell bacon. As I enter the kitchen I see Ali standing over the stove making bacon and I can see she already made pancakes. It smells heavenly. 

"Hey Al" 

She looks over and me and gives me a half smile but doesn't say anything. 

"Someone was in rare form last night, how you feeling today cupcake?" I say as I take a piece of bacon from the plate next to the stove. She slaps my hand away before I can take another one. 

"Fine" was the only reply I got. 

"Yeah, I can tell. You are a real peach this morning"

No reply. Okay, she is either way more hung over than I imagined or is still pissed about whatever she was mad about last night. She is such a fucking princess!

"You need to apologize to Madison if you don't want your life at school to be a living hell" I mention as I sit down at the table. 

She scoffs before turning to look at me with the most piercing brown eyes I have ever seen. Have they always looked like that? They are so...so....mesmerizing. I snap out of it to see those same eyes narrow into slits. 

"What do you see in her anyways? Or is it just her big boobs and open legs?" 

"Fuck you Ali, you don't even know Madison! You were out of line last night and you need to say sorry"

"No" was all she said curtly. 

"Excuse me?" I was getting angry now. She had no reason to dislike Madison, so whatever little game she is playing needs to end, NOW. "Ali stop being such a stuck up bitch and just say sorry. You were drunk and irrational. Say sorry or I will tell your mom you got wasted last night". There, that will get her. 

Suddenly I regret that, like, really regret it. Ali has finished making her meal and has plated her food. She looks at me with those gorgeous brown eyes and doesn't say a word. She always has something to say, but not this time. I can't put my finger on it but I have never seen her look at me, or anything, this way. I can see anger, hurt and disappointment in her face. But there is more than that, what is it? Is she sad? 

She calmly walks past me and to the doorway to head back to her room when she turns to me slowly, looks me square in the eyes with more emotion than I have ever seen, "Tell them whatever the fuck you want Caleb, but I will never apologize to Madison fucking Murphy. And if she knew what was good for her, she would stay far away from me".

And then she was gone. I could hear her slam the door to her room. I was left sitting there with my head spinning. Who was that girl, and what happened to Ali?