Chapter 9: Confrontations and Kisses

Ali's POV

I was sobbing, and not just one of those sobs where you are quiet and sad but a full on ugly girl cry. I probably sounded something like a dying whale, or an elephant giving birth. I mean, it was ugly. Mascara down my face, snot everywhere, and Dylan just holding me and rubbing my back. 

"Shhhh, it's okay, he will come around"

"N-n-no he w-won't. He- he hates me"

"Look at me" He gently guides my chin up with his finger to look at him, "He does not hate you, he just doesn't want to believe you and he was a little shocked to see us together, okay? I promise it will be okay. It will just take some time"

The front door slams and I can hear Caleb's car pull out of the driveway way too quickly. 

I sighed, but was a little relieved he was gone, at least for now. 

I sat up and looked in the mirror at my mess of a face, I needed a shower. I hadn't taken one after my run and now after crying I was in desperate need of some soap. "I need to take a shower, I am still gross from my run" I sniffle, finally calming down. 

"Okay, I will leave you to it then" Dylan stood up and started towards the door. 

Suddenly I didn't want him to leave, I liked having him there. I liked his arms around me and the way he calmed me. He made me feel safe. 

"Dylan?" He turned, "Can you stay?" I asked shyly, expecting him to have to get home. 

His eyes lit up and he smiled that stupidly cute grin again, "I was hoping you would ask me that, of course, I will be here when you are done showering" He plopped onto my bed and made himself comfortable. 

"Okay, I'll be quick!"

Fifteen minutes later I was out of the shower with clean hair, smooth shaved legs and lotion applied. I wrapped the towel around me and walked into my room to see Dylan asleep on my bed. I smiled and went to my closet to get some sweats. 

By the time I was changed and ready Dylan was still asleep. I walked over to my bed and looked at him, he was so damn handsome. I planted a kiss on his forehead and went downstairs to make us a late lunch. 

I had just finished the grilled cheese and was about to pour the soup into some bowls when two large, muscular arms wrapped around me and kissed the top of my head. 

"Hey sleepy head" I whispered as I turned around. 

"Hey" he said groggily. "I woke up in a foreign room and thought you had ditched me"

"No way, I just didn't want to wake you, and I figured you would be hungry..."

"Is that grilled cheese and tomato soup?" He asked with delight.

"Yep" I smiled

"That is my all time favorite!" 

"Me too!"

Dylan looked down at me and tightened  his arms around me. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, I am fine. I just don't want to face him, it sucks that we live in the same house"

"I get it, but it will all work out, I promise. I know Caleb and I know he can be difficult, but he always comes around eventually." 

Something about how confident he was about it really made me believe it, too. 

We ate our grilled cheese and soup with light conversation. There was no pressure with Dylan, I just felt comfortable. He was easy to talk to and made me laugh. But somewhere in the back of my head I couldn't stop thinking about Caleb. The thought of him hating me made me want to cry, but his words today hurt more than anything. 

I never realized how sad it was that I still had a flame for someone who so obviously hates me. But after today, after the way he spoke to me, how could any person with even a bit of self worth have feelings for someone so mean?

As I sat there looking at Dylan, I wondered why I hadn't noticed him before. I mean, I always knew he was attractive and nice, but I never really paid much attention to him, Probably because I was pining away at someone who treats me like shit. Well, not anymore! I am officially done with Caleb

He showed me his true colors today when I was only trying to help. The friendship I had with the him in the past is just that, in the past. He is not the same guy and I am not the same girl. And I think I was beginning to understand that that wasn't a bad thing. 

"What are you thinking about?" Dylan asks me bringing me back to reality. 

I smile at him, "Just thinking about how nice it is to be eating lunch with you". 

"I like it, too. Plus you make a damn good grilled cheese"

"Thanks" I giggle. 

"So what are you doing tonight?" 

"Oh, ummm....I was kind of planning on a low key night. Movies and popcorn in my room. After last night I don't think I have energy for anything else, what about you?"

"Oh, I was just going to go home and hang with my brothers, unless this girl I know wanted to hang out....then I would be hanging out with her for sure"

"Oh yeah?" I arched my brow, "Is she fun?"

"The funnest"

"That's not a word" 

"Sure it is"

"I knew you were too good looking to be smart, so disappointing" I say with a mock frown. 

"Hey! I am in AP classes, I have 3 of them with you!" He defends himself. 

I can't help but laugh, "I know, I know. So, you wanna join me for movie night? I'll even let you pick one of the movies"

"You got yourself a deal, missy".