Chapter 13 Through the Rabbit hole

"Ok, let's do this." Viktor muttered to himself, holding the loop which is still wrapped with plastic in his hands and staring intently at the barrier. Everyone was staring at him instead as he stood in front of us, waiting to see if this crazy experiment would work.

"Remember, if this works – we might only have a minute, if not seconds." I reminded everyone. There was really no way to tell whether it works or not until the barrier is breached, and even if it appears to work, there was no telling if it really disabled the barrier or not until someone tries it.

"Here goes nothing." Viktor said, nodding at me and throwing the loop out of the bag and towards the barrier. Diego and I reached out with our telekinesis immediately, guiding the loop towards the barrier and retreating immediately on contact.

Loud crackling and popping sounds followed by a flash of bright white light, someone to my right yelped and I retracted my mind, stung by the charged air. Holding my breath, I glanced over at the barrier as soon as the light cleared and a grin of victory spread through my face.

Despite the constant crackling and sizzling, the loop was embedded into the barrier about an inch off the ground, creating an oval shaped doorway. It wasn't completely clear of the barrier – there was still a clear film spread over it that shimmered and pulsated, but it was free of electricity.

"It worked!" Viktor cheered, jumping with his left fist pumped up in the air making everyone laugh. Even Iris and Vulture cracked a smile.

"Let me try first." Viktor said, turning around to look at me for permission. I shook my head at him, I brought him along on this dangerous mission, I wasn't going to let him put his life on the line.

"I will try it." I answered, stepping forward and pushing all my doubts and fears away. Keeping Akram's last words to me in mind, I marched towards the doorway before I could hesitate or change my mind.

"Gail, wait!" someone shouted my name behind me, but I ignored it. Barreling straight into the doorway. A tingle spread through my body and it felt as though I was moving through a thick skin of water. For a moment it was like the world was turning upside down and I was being rolled in a wheel barrel. It felt like I was in this limbo for forever, but it could easily be anything from a few seconds to a good few minutes. Before I gathered my wits back, I was spit out onto the ground on the other side.

"Gail!" the muffled cries of my friends echoed across the barrier, and I could barely register their voices and faces. Picking myself up, I brushed off the dirt on my suit, glad that I didn't end up face palming onto the wall. That would hurt.

"I am fine!" I shouted back, making hand gestures as well in case this was a one way barrier. The barrier than began to pulsate more vigorously and I motioned for them to hurry up.

Diego was the first one to pass through, and he was more prepared than me and managed to stay semi-upright. I quickly helped him out of the way so whoever was coming through next wouldn't fall on top of him.

Next came Natalie, then Fred. Following them were Iris and Viktor. By then the loop was actually smoking and the doorway had grown thicker with a blue tint, time was almost up.