Chapter 27 The price of peace

"No!" A scream pierced through my frozen shock and I saw Viktor throwing himself in front of me and I wanted to scream for him to save himself, but everything happened so fast. My heart sank and Katerina's remark echoed through my mind. I don't know what it is, but there is something that tells me you will play a part in what is to come. This was all pointing to Viktor dying to protect me.

Too wired up to shut my eyes, I watched, helpless, as the electric bolt zeroed in towards us as Viktor raised his hand out in front of him blocking the bolt from my field. Just as I thought I would see my friend incinerated to a crisp in front of me, a miracle happened.

The lightning bolt seemed to reach an invisible barrier about half a meter from Viktor's outstretched hand, it sizzled and frazzled for a fraction of a second before expanding and dissipating.

Then it was like everything snapped back into real time and I launched forward, managing to catch Viktor before he fell back on his butt. There was total silence for a moment, like everyone was taking in the shock and then the shouting began.

My head churned, and a million moments fluttered through my head and fell together like a puzzle. Viktor, who remembered me saving him even though everyone's mind was supposed to be wiped; Katerina's vision changing when he was involved. He was like us all along. He was a POE; and he was immune to others' powers.

"Is this your answer to our peace?" Chungkit Wong's angry growl echoed through the charged air, and I helped Viktor get back to his feet. The ex-head boy was staring at his shaking heads, his eyes wide as he too, tried to wrap his head around what had happened.

The Legres started talking to each other, and I could tell immediately that the Turtle and Whale were not happy with what the Eel did.

Making sure that Viktor could stand firmly by himself, I stepped forwards towards the sea. Chungkit's face was a steely shield, and the concrete beneath him cracked and wobbled as his anger manifest. The Original, right now, looked as formidable as I had ever seen in any living creature, emitting a kind of aura that had me shuddering.

I hope that what happened was just a misunderstanding. I called out with my mind, shoving my anger and fear into a back corner and putting the bigger picture first. Like I always had. But in truth, I felt no animosity to the Legres despite the attack, though I still don't understand why the Eel would want to kill me. However, this was the ticket I needed to get them on my side.

We apologize. The Turtle looked at me, its eyes softer than when we first met. I could feel that most of the Legres were shocked at the Eel's actions, and most, but not all, were pleased that I wasn't currently a piece of charcoal.

I understand that this wasn't something you plan to happen. But this wasn't the best first impression for us and we need to know that you are serious about peace between us. I declared, standing firm and tried not to wince when the Eel sent me a deadly glare.

We want to maintain the peace. Whale cut in, and as soon as said that, I knew I could play this out in our favour. Even if it went a little against my morals, but a little guilt tripping is necessary in such times.