Chapter 38 To stand united

"We have been talking. And we have a lot of questions for you young lady." My Dad said, putting his patronizing voice on. It had always worked when I was younger, but now it only served to annoy me. But me keeping everything a secret from them was kind of a crap move, so I guess I do owe them an apology.

"I am sorry." I said, trying to go back to my 5-year-old reasoning. "I found out what I could do when I was like 5, and back then all I could think about was not ending up like the mutated children I see in the hospital. Then nothing really happened until the Legre came into the Citybase..."

"What is it that you can do?" Mum asked, her eyes assessing me. "Your brother has inherited the Balkova genes, but it seems that you can do more."

I nodded, lifting up the small table next to the sofa. "I got the de Silver genes too. Somehow it skipped two generations." Both of my parents stared at me, and I wiggled under their glance, uncomfortable with the setting.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, my Dad sighed and shook his head. "I guess there really isn't any use in discussing what have already happened, although I am disappointed that you didn't think you can trust your own parents."

Biting on my lower lips, I let my Dad's attempt to guilt trip me slid. It was something he loved to do ever since I was young, and even though I was on the wrong this time, you couldn't blame the young me for being vigilant. And honestly, I might lobe my parents, but we had never been close.

"Alright..." I sighed as well, filling them in the adventure that is my life for the past two years to my parents. It was strange to recount all the tales, and I was surprised at how clearly I remembered everything. From the conversation I had with Nigel, getting picked up by Miss Sewell and my time at the Academy. Mr. Andrewson, the Classification test that went south, and then how we ended up on the run in the forests. Mum was silent through the entire thing while Dad's frown deepened. I then went on to how Nirmal had swooped in to help.

"And you just trust her right off the bat?" Dad questioned; he was the kind of person who had to have an opinion about everything, kind of like Lynette, actually. "What if she wanted to take advantage of you, or sell you to some facility?"

"Well, she isn't like that." I said, trying not to roll my eyes. My Dad continued on a rant about how I trusted people too easily and how they could have been this or that, like he actually knew how the POE world operate. He was the kind of person that had an opinion about everything, kind of like Lynette, actually. But no one likes a know-it-all, let alone one that doesn't actually know anything.

When he finally finished, I carried on and told them about going incognito and the Ganesh Family guard, I could tell that Dad wanted to say something again, but I quickly dodged it by jumping into the attack and how I ended up with the de Silver family. His family.

"Are you saying that you had no idea whatsoever about the de Silver?" I asked, watching my Dad's reactions closely and actually probed around his brain, trying to pick up on some juicy tidbit. Lynette was his mother, surely he would have noticed something.

"No." My Dad shook his head, and from what I could tell he was telling the truth. "She had always been hot and cold towards us, always over bearing and attentive, as though she was waiting for something to happen. Of course, now it all makes sense. She loved your grandfather a lot, but when he died, things just started going from bad to worse, and she even kicked me out of the house when I turned twenty one. From then on we haven't really kept in contact. I didn't even invite her when your mum and I got married, and she only started coming back into our lives when you were born."