Chapter 30 The damsel in distress

I am never satisfy with the girls I pick to play Gail, although Samantha Isler just popped up on my radar - thoughts? (photo above)

---------------------

"What do we do now?" Dan asked, a hint of fear in his voice; I cursed silently, my brains trying to come up with a good escape plan. I wished I could call Lynette, but even then we might not last until help arrived.

"I have called for the local backup, but I am not sure they will arrive given the situation." Eleanor whispered, her gun pointing at the ceiling ready to strike at a moment's notice. I nodded at her, heart pounding fast as I kept trying to come up with a solution but couldn't. I might be able to force our way out, but with so many of us, it would be hard to take care of everyone.

Before I could dwell more on this, the door burst open in a manner that was definitely not by natural forces and a group of people staggered in. Shifting into a fighting stance, I hauled all the books from our bookshelf towards the intruders, ignoring the whimpering protests from Dad. Those were precious material, I know, but our lives are on the line and I cared more about that.

Backing up and forming a circle with our back against the middle where my family was shoved, I scanned around for an escape route for them, but there was no clear shot except through the kitchen.

"Back off." I shouted, giving my voice and the command as much power as I can, hoping to at least daze them enough for us to attempt an escape. A couple of the guys staggered back and even more look dazed, but two of them just narrowed their eyes at me; I knew this wouldn't work well with POEs.

Taking advantage of this, Gerald and Diego started launching items at them, forcing them to back away from us as we begun to migrate to the kitchen. We have a back door that led to a semi-confined garden, and the strange configuration of the compound meant that we could escape to through the back to another main road. That is, if they hadn't rounded us up.

"It's still clear for now." Tristan whisper shouted and I heard someone rattling keys. Expanding my mind, I made sure that the back garden was clear and tried to sense how many more were coming in from the front door; but something, or someone was blocking me.

Cursing under my breath, I noticed that we were running out of things to chuck at the enemy and they were getting impatient with us. We were still wary of each other, accessing each other's powers and strength. If they figured out that some of us were non-POE and another three were non-fighters, then we would be toast.

One of the guys who weren't affected by my compulsion stepped forward, his stormy grey eyes staring right at me before settling on the de Silver pendant that I slunk back around my neck in a hurry. Narrowing my eyes at him, I took advantage of his distraction and grabbed hold of the sofa, sending it careering towards him.

With the sofa momentarily blocking their view, I shove my friends into the kitchen and slammed the door closed and barred it with a dining table. I had always found it weird that we had a proper door to the kitchen, but now I was beyond glad.

"Quickly." I shouted, unable to believe that my Dad still hadn't managed to open the door with the keys. The fact that you need keys to open a door from the inside was another pet peeve of mine about this house.