Marinette's Downside

(Marinette's POV)

I walk through the hall listening in to all of the chatter.

"Did you guys hear about Adrien's masquerade party?" One girl says.

"Of course! Who hasn't?" Another replies

"I heard he's going to choose one girl to dance with, and hang out with all night," the last girl says.

They all sigh with love struck smiles

It's no secret Adrien is the most popular guy in school. I'd be surprised if he even noticed me. At least more than just the shy awkward girl that sits behind him in our designing class.

I'm on my way there now. I sigh as I walk in. Everyone is swarming Adrien and asking him questions. While he smiles sheepishly trying to answer everyone.

I sit in my seat and stare at Adrien. 'I do wish he'd notice me. Somehow, one day,' I think. And as I think that, our eyes meet.

He gives me a smile. While I blush and look away. 'Did he just look at me and smile!? At least that was better than him not looking at me. If only if I could have enough courage to talk to him, make sense, and say what I mean.'

But I just sigh knowing that may never happen. Nor will I have the chance to go to his party.

Alya sits next to me. "What's wrong Marinette?"

"I doubt I'll be able to go to the party. My parents will probably say no considering how late it'll be before it ends. Not to mention I promised to help with the shop. And I still haven't finished my dress, or started on my mask."

"Hey," she said pulling my focus to be completely on her. Alya put her hands on my shoulders. "Listen. If you can't do everything, I'll have some back up to help out, okay? And it's not a school night. Your parents may say yes. Especially if you say that my parents are going to let me."

I give her a small smile. "Yeah, maybe you're right," I say. 'Except I forgot to mention that tonight I have to go on patrol. Especially since Chat isn't always on time.'

Alya give me a reassuring smile, and turns towards the front as the bell rings for class to start.

I look toward the front as the teacher stands in front of her desk. She faces us with a smile. "Adrien, would you like to make your announcement before I start the lesson?"

"Yes madame," he says getting up and going towards the front. "If you all haven't heard, I am having a party tomorrow night. It's going to be a masquerade party, so please wear masks. And yes, everyone is invited. I thought that if it was a normal party, that not everyone would come. I don't think everyone will with this one either. But, being in disguise may help. I know some people may not like parties, on don't normally like to stand out as who they are. So, this will help for those of you that have fears like those. You can blend in no matter what, yet also be single."

Almost everyone makes side comments to each other after that. And the teacher just smiles at us.

"Yes, thank you Adrien. And for the party, I thought I could give everyone an assignment. You don't have to go because of this, but you still have to do the project. I would like everyone to make their own outfits for this occasion, and model it yourself. For those of you not going, bring me pictures on Monday. And yes, I will be at the party, so everyone, please approach me so I know who is who just in case."

I smile at Alya. "You know I already planned to make my outfit."

"Yeah, and I have mine planned out as well," Alya says smiling back. She leans towards Nino. "You excited for this project?"

"Of course! Just wait. I may outshine Adrien with what I have planned," he says laughing. "Though I doubt it."

"Don't say that Nino," Adrien says. "I bet we'll be just like everyone else."

"Based on your background, I doubt it," Nino says smiling. He shakes his head. "You know how this'll turn out."

Adrien shrugs. "Maybe, maybe not. We'll see."

Nino just turns back to Alya after that and continues talking with her. What surprises me is that Adrien looks to me next.

"Hey Marinette. I hope you can make it," he says smiling, giving me a wink. (Adrien does this sometimes with her. He winks at her, kind of to encourage her, like on the episode where she made the hat).

I blush and look at my hands. "W-well, you see... I don't... a-and I have to, do this thing... so I..."

Before I can finish, Alya puts her arm around my shoulder and looks at Adrien. "She'll make it. I'll make sure of it."

"Great! Can't wait to see you both there!"

We all then turn our attention to the teacher as she yells out. "I know you are all excited, and want to discuss with others about what you have planned. And you can, but remember, I need the designs. So you may all go and start to work on your projects."

So I get up and Alya starts to pull me out of the class. I was barely able to grab my bag.

And what Marinette didn't know was that there were a couple of people following them.