Part Eight

I led the men towards a large hill, my breath not failing me as I craned my head to see them slowing down as we came to the steep part. I laughed very ungentlemen like and continued on, looking around at the view as I came to a startling halt.

Before me stood a large rock wall, about twenty feet up. I looked behind me to see the three ganging up on me as I hesitated for a moment. I rubbed my hands and continued to climb, scaling it and calculating which place step next, as the three goons began there journey to climb as I quickly glanced around to see if I could see the boys from here.

I didn't see any children, but I noticed something in the rock wall that apparently the men didn't. There were large, gaping holes that led all the way up, and I knew I was on track. The boy must have climbed it, baby and all!

His kick must have shattered most of the wall, and it's a miracle we can even climb it now. I grinned to myself but continued to focus, lining up carefully as I finally managed to scale the full thing.

I took a quick glance down and noticed King Francis sword battling with a very disgruntled France. They were really going at it, if I may mention. As France swiped left and right and managed to cut King Francis' arm.

He yelped in pain and I couldn't help but cheer. France looked over at me and smiled, but I noticed King Francis took this distraction and hit France's head with a large rock nearby.

I screamed, "FRANCE! NO!" As he toppled to the floor, and I noticed the three goons furiously get closer and closer.

King Francis' made his way up the hill next, and I reluctantly took off running. For some reason, I felt myself cry.

"You're okay. You're okay. You're okay" I bawled, continuing the mantra as I ran throughout a flower field.

I hid in a small clearing that wouldn't be seen by the naked eye and I furiously wiped my tears away.

"Oh god! Please let him be okay! He can't be gone!" I cried, bringing up my knees to my chest as I shook.

I realized the pain in my chest was all too familiar, and my shaky breath came to a halt when I looked up to see the children watching me, the baby hushed and quiet against America's breast.

"O...Kay?" America asked, taking a brave step towards me.

"Yeah. I mean, yes. You'll be okay." I whispered, standing up quickly and dusting off my trousers.

He ended up smiling crooked, the baby slightly cooing as he took another brave step towards me, and another, until he was only a few feet in front of me. I squatted down and reached out slowly, he seemed hesitant at first before he reached out too.

His hand was so small, so vulnerable, and I just knew I had to protect him. Both of them. He slowly got closer and he didn't know what to do, but I gently pulled him into a hug. Not too tight though, the baby was still in between us and America hiccuped, beginning to cry.

I didn't know if it was out of relief yet, I'd like to think so. He wasn't scared, that's for sure. I just knew he was waiting a long time I'm sure, and I patted his back and we sat like that for a few minutes, the pain long forgotten.

He handed over the baby and I noticed how violet his wondrous eyes were in my arms. The baby grabbed at the air and stared at me, and I moved some cloth away from his tiny face as I noticed he too had small tufts of blonde hair like his brothers.

I kissed the baby's forehead gently, and America watched it with another crooked smile. I looked up and noticed he was crying a tad again. I reached over and gently wiped away his tears.