Chapter 15: Marked by Asters

"I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.~Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Afternoon on a Hill"

Snippet of a book I was reading. They sounded like Korali and Jordan lol(at the top).

Song: Begging for Thread by BANKS

Korali's Pov.(Not edited)

"Your mother?" I questioned not understanding what he meant exactly. His mother was crazy and a killer?

"Yes." He glanced away from me and towards Cailo and Max who finally stood and appeared to be taking that as a cue to leave. His body was tensed and awkward, I could see that even from where I sat. The vibe in the room was and they didn't want to be here for what was to come.

"I'm going to go monitor patrol," Max said breaking the small silence that settled around us. His light eyes looked anywhere but towards me and he started to walk towards the door.

"Uh, yeah." That was Cailo's stupid response after leaving Jordan and I alone. Which was dangerous because of my heat; very dangerous. Jordan's green eyes scanned me over which oddly felt so appealing that I nearly melted.

"But what does your mom have to do with—with us?" Could I even call us and 'us'?

"There will nev—my mom was a psycho; she should have never gotten a mate. Yet she did and look what destruction she's caused. Then she made me—all the worse, and Mahalia—she never even got the chance to—it doesn't matter. I'm protecting you Korali and I need you to understand that."

"So you think you're going to go crazy because your mom was and her mate seemed to trigger the crazy?" I took his silence as a yes. "Jordan that's completely stupid! Your mom was probably experiencing trouble within her head before she met your father and you would have that already."

"It's in my DNA, it's what is to become of me if I allow our mating. I would never do that to my people. To you. To our chi—to anyone." My heart pounded in my chest a thundering staccato that if it was any other time—I'd probably need to go get checked out for. If a heart could sprout limbs and personify as a human, I'm sure mine would be smiling at this point. As much as I tried to keep my face on neutral, the smile broke through like the sun on a cloudy day.

Jordan almost said "our children". That was hope. That was him. That was his manifest, his evince, he slight semblance of love for me; of care. He's thought about it and that was enough to send my mind into disarray and my hormones into a frenzy.

"Jordan I'm falling in love with you," to bear you're heart out like that to a person who wouldn't appreciate it was a hard thing to do. But it was the truth. My truth. And I refused to hide away from the feelings that were bound to happen, he was my mate, and he needed loving; to be loved and told that he wasn't evil.

"Stop saying that! I will never be your mate." He spat those words out in a manner that I could tell and even he could tell he didn't mean. They had various question marks hanging around them and I knew not to take it to heart. "Korali, you are here to be a Luna to the pack. To be my equal in pack rights. We are nothing, never to be, and that's the truth."

I got up from the floor not phased by his words anymore. "So, you're trying to tell me that you feel nothing for me?" I slipped my arms through my sweatshirt peeling it off my body; feeling suddenly hot. I dropped it to the floor and I watched Jordan's eyes follow my every move.

He swallowed before replying, "That's not what I'm saying. I'm very much attracted to you. I want you like no other, you are my vice, my virtue, and if I were to fuck you; my sin." He used the word fuck, as if to sound crude and uncaring. But I saw through it and he knew. "I refuse to hurt you in any way that can be prevented."