9

I stretched as I walked into the recording studio with Alec, Tico, David, and Jon. I whistled. "Nice studio."

"Right? My cousin Tony owns this." Jon said.

"Get out." Tico said.

"No. Seriously. He's not lying." David said.

"Bitchin'." Alec said. The boys nodded in agreement.

"Hey Jon." We turned around.

"Hey Tony."

"Is this the band, hot shot?" Tony asked.

"Shut up, Tony." Jon laughed. "Yes. This is Alec John Such, you remember David, Tico Torres, and Richie Sambora."

"Nice to meet you all."

"You as well." We said in unison.

"Okay. Well, I'll let you get to it then." Tony then took his exit and Jon clapped his hands.

"All right. Let's work on Shot Through the Heart. Yes?" We nodded and got straight to work. After hours of recording, I finally drove home.

"Why are you back so late?" Mom asked.

"Where have you been all day?" Dad asked.

"Well, I've been at the studio since 8 this morning."

"But you've been gone since 6 this morning." Mom protested. I dangled a pair of keys in front of them, making their jaws drop.

"Buddy gave me an apartment and her parents helped me with furniture. He's letting me pay in intervals. I'm gonna surprise Jen with it."

"That's awesome!"

"And one other thing." I pulled out a black velvet box.

"You're finally gonna do it? After 8 years?" Mom practically screamed with joy.

"We have been trying to get it in your ear for at least 7!" I laughed.

"I know, Dad."

"Congrats, son!" They hugged me and I hugged them back.

"No congratulations yet, Dad. She hasn't even said yes yet."

" If she's been this patient with you, I'm pretty sure she'll say yes." Mom joked, making me smile and roll my eyes.

"I hope so. What time is it?"

"9:30."

"Just enough time." I filled him and Mom in on the plan then went to the phone. As I dialed Jen's work number, Dad and Mom got their car keys and left. I tapped my foot nervously, hoping she'd pick up.

"This is Jennifer. How may I help you?"

"Hey, Babe. It's Richie."

"Hi Richie!" I smiled at the excitement in her voice.

"Hey. Are you going home to go to bed?"

"No. I was kinda hoping to see you tonight." I could almost see her biting her lip and twisting the phone chord around her finger.

"Well, good thing is, I wanted to see you too."

"Really?"

"Mhm. Are you off soon?"

"Yeah. You just caught me. I was about to leave. Should I call my parents to have them drive my car home?"

"Yes. I'll be over in 5 minutes to pick you up. I have two surprises for you."

"What are they?"

"If I told you, they wouldn't be surprises. Now would they?" She sighed and I chuckled.

"I guess not. I'll see you in five minutes. Love you." I grinned.

"Love you too." I turned around and saw Dad, who patted me on the back.

"Go get 'er, son."

"When you see me next, hopefully I'll be an engaged man."