The hitcher

I was just setting off from Skegness on Boxing Day, I was driving my new Range Rover that my sister had bought me for Christmas. As I was driving down the road I couldn't help but notice the eery blanket that seemed to be covering the atmosphere. As I drove down one of the back roads I caught a glimpse of a figure in a grey jumper, they were holding out their thumb. I let out a sigh, a hitcher at this time of year? As a drive past my stomach tightens in guilt, I can't leave someone like that. With that I reverse back, allowing the man to get in my car.

As he gets in I can't help but notice how nervous he seems.

"Thanks," he sighs in relief, I nod back turning down the radio.

We travelled in an awkward silence when suddenly something came up on the radio.

"Breaking news!, a man has been brutally murdered on the beach of skegness, the victim has had their had detached through strangulation,"

I found myself glancing into the back seat, luckily the hitcher was looking out the window. My eyes found themselves at his feat, which were covered in sand.

My heart began to race, no, this can't be the murderer can it? It's just a coincidence.

"The murderer was last seen fleeing from the scene, wearing a blue hat,"

I turned off the radio, not wanting the man(who was wearing a blue hat) to know I was listening to this.

I pulled over at the side of the road, praying that the murderer in the back won't notice.

"Oh damn," I muttered, trying to sound convincing. He must of bought it because he shot up, suddenly concerned. I silently sighed in relief.

"My lights aren't working, can you go check them please," I asked hopeful.

He reluctantly got out the car, closing the door behind him. He stood at the front, looking at me expectantly.

"Are the headlights working?" I shouted, he nodded.

"The indicators?" I asked, again he nodded.

Then he moved back to the tail lights, I didn't bother saying anything, I just reversed harshly.

Then came a sickly squelch and his head rolled into the middle of the road. What I relief, I was now safe. I continued my journey home.

I drove for another few hours. The silence was getting on my nerves so I turned the radio back on, just in time to hear the next report.

"We have found the murderer of the man on Skegness beach, he has now been locked up, also, a man had been found dead, his head had been taken off as well, police are searching for the other murderer as we speak...!"
--------------------------------------------

Dat plot twist though XD