Two

My mother's small hands were set on my cheeks and she was tearing up. "Oh my Taeminnie, please be safe." I put my hands over hers and kissed her forehead. "Of course I will, umma. I love you." We hugged one last time before I grabbed my bags and boarded the plane.
My heart was beating so fast as I stared out the window. I'd never flown in a plane before, much less alone. Then, I would go to America and live by myself. I put in my earbuds and put Sealed Locket's album on shuffle. I closed my eyes and let Anthea's voice fill up my nervous heart.
The way New York wasn't a one-plane kind of ride. I had to get on two, but after the first one, I was okay. I didn't get lost at the airport, fortunately, and I boarded safely. Another window seat and another several hour flight.
When I got off the second flight, that was it. I was in New York, the place where every American dream came true. I stopped outside the airport and looked in my bag for the paper with all my information. The college adress, my dorm number, my classes. I searched snd searched. Oh no did I misplace it?
I started to freak out on the inside. I must really look like a fool in front of everyone. I took a deep breath and opened my English text book as my last resort. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw the paper. I took it out and put everything back in my bags. Then, with my hand raised, I hailed a cab.
When the little yellow car stopped in front of me, I climbed in, setting my luggage my feet. The man driving was older, with white hair and wrinkly skin. "Where to?" He asked, eyeing me curiously. I cleared my throat and looked the paper. I read the address, slow and careful. The man nodded his head. "Where are you from?" He asked, trying to make light conversation. Great, he could tell I was a foreigner. Am I that obvious?
"I'm from Korea." I said politely, my hands in my lap. He raised his eyebrows. "Oh really? What brings you here?" I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. "I'm studying abroad, sir." He nodded and stayed quiet after that. I was glad. At least my pronunciation was good and he understood me. That gave me comfort.
The taxi dropped me off in front of the school and I payed the man. Then, I referred to my paper for instructions. B Dorms, room number 45. I glanced around the campus for any signs that could lead me to my destination.
"Are you lost?" I jumped at the sudden voice behind me. I turned around to face a blonde girl in shorts and a NYC hoodie. "I'm trying to find my dorm." I told her and handed her my paper. She grabbed it and looked at it. "From Korea, wow. You must be a smart cookie. Anyways, come with me." She motioned her small and turned around, starting to walk. I grabbed my things and followed her. "I'm Kylie by the way." She glanced at me and smiled. "I'm Taemin." I smiled back politely. "Taemin." She echoed. I nodded my head. Then, she just looked ahead and pointed at a sign that said "B Dorms."
"That's the entrance and you should find your room pretty easily. They go up by five." She held up five fingers for emphasis and handed my paper back. "Thank you." I nodded and headed inside. I found my room after a long walk. When I turned to face the door, I stared at the little gold 45 on the wooden door. Should I knock? Or just walk in? I mean, this was my room...
I decided to knock. When I did, a boy opened the door. He was probably my age, 18 or so. "Hey.. are you Taemin Lee?" He asked. I nodded my head. "That's me." He smiled and let me in. "I'm your roommate, by the way. The name's Roy." He held out a hand for me to shake. I shook it and set my things on the bed. "Nice to meet you." I said as I glanced over him.
Roy was short, shorter than me and had red hair with blue eyes. He seemed very extroverted, as he kept talking to me about how he had just moved in as well and knew that we both were going to like it here. I tried my hardest to listen carefully, but it was so easy to tune out.
Eventually, Roy left the dorm. I started to unpack and suddenly felt so exhausted. I sat on the bed and pulled out my phone, calling my mom. I talked to her for a bit before laying on the bed and closing my eyes. I slowly drifted to sleep, the sound of faint chatter down the hallway as my lullaby.