Chapter 6: Puns & Skeletons

When Haruhi finally regained her composure enough to get up, she noticed that the air had gotten much... colder. There was nowhere to go but forward, so that way she went. An uneasy feeling washed over her. She had the sneaking suspicion someone was following her. It didn't help that she was completely surrounded by dense woods. She constantly looked over her shoulder, her anxiety increasing with every look. She came to a bridge, and heard footsteps behind her. Haruhi froze in fear. Haruhi had no idea what to do.

"H u m a n. "

Haruhi tensed up. She wanted to believe that this was a figment of her imagination. But that voice was too clear.

"D o n ' t y o u k n o w h o w t o g r e e t a n e w p a l? T u r n a r o u n d a n d s h a k e m y h a n d."

Not wanting to anger the voice, Haruhi slowly turned around. There was a shadowy figure, from which the voice had come. It stuck out its hand. Haruhi slowly clasped it. A whoopee cushion sounded from the hand. Haruhi became less tense.

"*heh. the ol' whoopee cushion in the hand trick. its always funny. anyway, i'm sans. sans the skeleton."

The figure revealed itself to be a small... skeleton, Haruhi guessed, in a blue hoodie and slippers. Haruhi was extremely confused.

"*to be honest, i'm supposed to be on watch for humans right now. but, i don't really care about capturing anybody. my brother, though, he's a human hunting fanatic."

Haruhi shuddered at the thought. A human hunting fanatic? That didnt sound too pleasant for our dear heroine.
"*tell ya what. go through this little gate thing here. my bro made the bars too wide to stop anyone."

Haruhi reluctantly went through the gate. There was a lamp, for some reason, and more snow and ice.

"*quick, behind this conveniently shaped lamp."

Haruhi ducked behind the lamp. She wasn't entirely sure what was going on, but she was eternally grateful for the help. Something about the statement "human hunting fanatic" sent chills down her spine. Then, she heard a voice that did not belong to Sans.

"SANS! YOU'VE BEEN LAZING AROUND ALL DAY!"

"*that's not true. i've gotten a ton of work done today. a skele-ton."

Sans gave a mischievous grin.
Haruhi cringed at the terrible pun.

"SANS, NOW IS NOT THE TIME. I MUST BE THE ONE TO CAPTURE A HUMAN."

"*sounds like you're really working yourself down to the bone."

"GAH. WHATEVER. I'M GOING TO GO RECALIBRATE MY PUZZLES. AS FOR YOUR WORK, PUT A LITTLE MORE... BACKBONE INTO IT. NYEH HEH HEH!."

Haruhi had decided that staying in the ruins would have been a better alternative to this. In fact, she concluded anything would be better.

"*alright. you can come out now."

Haruhi was confused as to why that lamp was there, but its convenience filled her with determination.