Chapter 10: MORE PUZZLES!

After saying goodbye to the dogs, Haruhi came upon yet another puzzle. Surprisingly, it was simple enough. She stepped on the two Xs, and then on the switch in the middle. The way forward opened up with a satisfying click. Continuing forward, an awakened pep in her step, she waved cheerily to Papyrus. 

"HUMAN! THERE'S, UH, A SMALL PROBLEM. I WAS REARRANGING THIS PUZZLE TO LOOK LIKE MY FACE, BUT THE SNOW FROZE TO THE GROUND, AND NOW THE SOLUTION'S CHANGED!"

Haruhi giggled, but looked upon the actual puzzle. It was a jumble of Xs, some in very strange locations. 

I can do this. She thought. I did the last one just fine.

Haruhi tried for the better part of an hour trying to solve the puzzle. She eventually gave up and talked to Papyrus.

"ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE, HUMAN? I CAN GIVE YOU THE SOLUTION, BUT THAT WOULD BE NO FUN..."

Haruhi begged and pleaded with Papyrus to tell her the solution, as she had given up almost an hour and a half ago.

"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, I'LL TELL YOU. THERE'S A BUTTON BEHIND THAT TREE OVER THERE. PRESS IT!"

She looked behind the tree, and sure enough. There it was. She pressed it, then stepped on the switch, and the way forward opened with a click. Haruhi gave an exasperated sigh. 

Was it really that easy this whole time? She thought.

Continuing forward, she met Papyrus and Sans once more. They were standing in front of a mess of multicolored tiles and a strange looking machine.

"HELLO, HUMAN! THIS IS THE DREADED COLORED TILE MAZE! EACH TILE DOES SOMETHING DIFFERENT. RED TILES ARE UNABLE TO BE WALKED ON. PINK TILES ARE COMPLETELY SAFE. YELLOW TILES ARE ELECTRIC. THEY'LL SHOCK YOU! PURPLE TILES ARE COVERED IN SLIPPERY LEMONY SOAP. BLUE TILES ARE WATER TILES, AND ARE SAFE, UNLESS YOU SMELL LIKE LEMONS! IF YOU SMELL LIKE LEMONS, THE PIRANHAS WILL BITE YOU! AND, IF A BLUE TILE IS NEXT TO A YELLOW TILE, IT IS ELECTRIFIED, AND YOU CANNOT SWIM THROUGH IT. IF YOU STEP ON ON A GREEN TILE, IT'LL PLAY A SOUND, AND YOU'LL HAVE TO FIGHT A MONSTER! ORANGE TILES ARE ORANGE SCENTED, WHICH PIRANHAS DO NOT LIKE! DID YOU GET ALL THAT, HUMAN?"

Haruhi confusedly tried to process this set of instructions. She didn't want to ask him to explain it again, since it was probably gonna confuse her more, but she also couldn't understand very well, as hard as she tried to. In the end, she decided to play it by ear, and hoped for the best. Giving Papyrus a thumbs up, Haruhi took a deep breath. He flipped the switch, and the tiles began shuffling faster and faster until they finally settled on a configuration. Haruhi snorted at it. A path of pink tiles bordered by red ones. The most straightforward puzzle she had ever seen. When she looked up, Papyrus was gone, and she felt a little bad for laughing. Having crossed the "dreaded tile maze", Haruhi began to feel homesick, wishing she could see her friends and family again. While the friends she had made during her time in the underground were nice, she still wanted to see her human friends, at least once more. They had got her to where she is now, somewhat comfortable in her own skin, and she wished that they could be here with her.

'It'd break up the monotony a bit, that's for sure.' She thought with a chuckle.

Looking out over the snow covered horizon, Haruhi realized that she had a long way to go, and moping about wouldn't get her home. She set out once more, hoping that this journey would end soon.