Chapter Three:

October of 2001

Phoenix's House

"Mom! I'm home!" Phoenix called out cheerfully. "I brought some friends with me!"

"Friends, hm?" Phoenix's mother poked her head around the corner. "Okay, that's great! Why don't you guys head up to your treehouse first? I got some cookies in the oven, and I'll bring some hot chocolate up later!" She disappeared back into the kitchen.

"Treehouse?" Edgeworth asked.

"Yeah! I have a spacious treehouse I always hang out in after school. I do all my homework there. Come on, let's go!"

Phoenix dragged the two to his backyard. In a big tree, a treehouse painted blue was nestled in the thick protective branches and leaves.

"Uh, Phoenix? Are you sure it's safe?" said Edgeworth.

"Safe? Pfft." Phoenix waved a hand. "It's so sturdy, it survived three tornadoes."

"Woohoo! Let's go! Last one up is a gay chicken!" Larry cried out, scuttling up the ladder.

"Gay chicken?" Phoenix shook his head. Edgeworth shrugged. "Who knows."

Phoenix and his new friends had a great time up there. It was the first time he had felt so happy. Sure, his friends were some of the weirdest, but they were company. Larry stayed until 6 PM that day, and the whole time the three just talked. Especially about Edgeworth's father. The grey haired boy's eyes would always shine whenever he talked about his dad. Him going to court and seeing his dad in action... Phoenix couldn't help but get pulled in with interest and growing curiosity. He wished the moment would never end. That was, of course, until...

"Hey, Phoenix?"

"Hm? What is it, Edgeworth?"

"What's this?" He asked, looking at a small pile of paper.

Phoenix blanched. What was Edgeworth doing? He stared in horror as the grey-haired boy shifted through the pages. That was Phoenix's private diary! Well, not really a diary, but he wrote down his feelings on those pages whenever he was felt down. Phoenix was careless enough to leave them scattered under the table.

But what was done was done. Phoenix sat on the wooden floor, eyes closed. He didn't know what to say. Really. What really were the pages? His feelings? Thoughts?

Phoenix felt someone wrap their arms around his body, and instinctively Phoenix stiffened up.

"It's okay," Edgeworth whispered, "It's okay."

So he read everything that I wrote down, huh...? Phoenix thought. He relaxed, and patted Edgeworth's arm. "Thanks... Edgeworth."

The two boys sat there, side by side, listening to the silence of the coming night.

"Phoenix?"

"Yeah, Edgeworth?"

"Has anyone told you that your hair is really soft?"

"Oh! Uh, yeah, actually. Larry just said that earlier today."

"Hm."

The two lapsed back into silence. Grasshoppers chirped in the backyard and a breeze rustled the leaves above their heads.

"Phoenix?" Edgeworth whispered.

"Yeah?"

"You know... I'll always be there for you," he murmured. "If you feel sad or lonely, I'll always be here for you."

"I... I really like you, Phoenix."

To his surprise, Phoenix didn't flinch or feel startled.

"I do too, Edgeworth. I like you too." Phoenix ran his hand over Edgeworth's arm. "I'll be here for you too. Forever and ever."

Both of them smiled. "Forever and ever..."