Chapter Four:

November of 2001

Edgeworth's House

"How was your playdate, son?" Gregory asked.

"It was great, Dad! I really like Phoenix."

Edgeworth's dad smiled. "I'm glad you're having fun with your friends."

Inside Gregory faltered. What am I going to tell Miles? He'll be so heartbroken...

But no matter the cost of pain and suffering, Gregory had to tell his son. They were leaving in December, after all, and it was late November already.

"Miles? Can you come here for a moment?" He could feel his heart already shattering with the burden of having to tell his son the bad news, seeing Edgeworth come prancing over, a big smile on his face.

Gregory sighed, and kneeled down to Edgeworth's height. "Miles... I'm so sorry... please don't be mad..."

"Hm? What is it, Dad? Come on, you can tell me, I won't get mad," Edgeworth said, patting Gregory's arm reassuringly.

"Miles... in December, we are leaving."

"Leaving? Leaving where?"

"We..." Gregory took a deep breath. "We're leaving here. We are going to Europe, on December 24. You'll be transferred to a school there... Miles...? Miles!" He called.

But it was too late. Edgeworth had already ran away, sobbing.

Gregory's hand instinctively went up to his head, and he could feel a migraine coming on. He tried his best to ignore it, and followed his son up to his bedroom.

Opening the door, Gregory regretted all of his choices upon seeing his son lying on the bed, crying. He was about to take away all the happiness his son had, take away his friends, and put him in an entirely new place.

Ever since Gregory's wife passed away, the two had moved all over the place, and they had recently settled in here. And now... they were leaving again.

He was so mad with himself for taking everything his son already had. Edgeworth had never objected to moving before, and never had his son lost so much control over himself. He was Edgeworth's father, for god's sake! He was supposed to take care of him, to surround him in a suitable environment until he grows up into a respectable, young man. Edgeworth's father? Gregory was a joke. He was hopeless. His son... would never become a great man. Never, because of him. Never, because of Gregory Edgeworth.

Miles Edgeworth's dad left his son in his bedroom, tears running down his face. He knew he had condemned his son into life-long sorrow and pain. And he hated himself for it. He was so worried for his son, he strayed off the path. Now, Miles Edgeworth was going to take on the suffering all by himself.

On his bed, Edgeworth couldn't stop the tears falling down and landing on the blanket. Two large dark splotches, filled with his sorrow, and his grief. But he didn't blame his father for it.

Edgeworth knew that his dad was trying his best, trying to give Edgeworth all that he could offer. Edgeworth knew that his dad had been standing there, at the door, wanting to say sorry, wanting to fix everything, wanting to help his only son, his wonderful son, his everything. But Edgeworth also knew that somehow, he couldn't forgive his dad either. He was too busy dealing with his losses.

He knew that he was never going to find another pair of friends like Phoenix and Larry. He knew he was never going to find another person like Phoenix. No one as loving, no one as caring, no one as flawless as Phoenix Wright. He was so lost. It was like losing his mother all over again.

He felt so hollow, hollow like a shell. With no host, a shell was inanimate. Just another something to keep. A shell was beautiful. Just another something to admire. A shell was empty. Just like Edgeworth.

Edgeworth thought that there was nothing else more devastating to him than losing Phoenix. He wasn't wrong.