Chapter Five:

November of 2001

Justice Elementary School

Without being told, Phoenix knew something was wrong with Edgeworth. After their last playdate at Phoenix' house, which was two days ago, the once open and energetic boy began to distance himself from his friends. His eyes no longer had the same shine when he talked about his father. He rarely spoke about his dad. In fact, he hardly spoke at all.

Phoenix was so sad. Despite Edgeworth's presence, his liveliness, his passion and his spirit for the things he loved was gone. Disappeared, like a magic trick. Gone, like the wind. Destroyed, by Phoenix.

Yeah. That was exactly how Phoenix felt. He felt as if he was the one guilty for hurting Edgeworth. He felt like he did it. He felt like he was responsible. But he didn't know why. Neither did he know what he did. And that was what frustrated him the most.

He didn't know what happened. One moment he felt like the happiest person in the world. He had a friend. A friend that loved him. Cherished his presence. And now, Phoenix somehow lost that friend.

After school ended that day, the two went their separate ways. Larry was on vacation, and Phoenix was utterly alone. Utterly alone, lost in his own despair. He sat in his treehouse, astray in his solitary pain and grief. He thought back to the last time Edgeworth was happy. He thought about everything he did to Edgeworth. But his mind was always blank. He was blank. He was always numb. Numb with pain, numb with grief, and stuck with the knowledge that no matter what he said, no matter what he did, no matter what happens next, Edgeworth was never coming back.

When the realization hit him, Phoenix felt hot tears pour down his face. He was dealing with a death. The death of a friend. Of his only friend. Of Miles Edgeworth. Crying couldn't help him. Crying couldn't relieve his pains. Crying couldn't take off the guilt on his back.

Because Phoenix truly believed that he killed Miles Edgeworth. He truly believed that Edgeworth was gone because of him. He didn't know why. But that didn't matter.

Since guilt never leaves that easily.

After school, Edgeworth said a hasty goodbye to Phoenix and took his leave. After all, he wasn't coming back. It would've been better to distance himself away from his only friend, so that goodbye wouldn't be as painful.

Little did he know that it wouldn't work.

The whole way home, Miles cried. His tears just kept coming, kept coming like his guilt and his sorrow. His emotions never released its hold on the poor child, like a never ending nightmare. Every day was agony. Spending his days with his best friend, his only friend, his brother, only to have to say goodbye.

No matter how much he hated it, Edgeworth knew that he had to keep his feelings inside his little shell. Inside the space, where all his happiness should be. Instead, everything that he had was gobbled up and taken away by reality. The reality of leaving... it was too much for him to bear.

But he had to keep silent. Edgeworth was a smart boy. He was taught to learn from his mistakes. He knew what would happen if he told anyone.

"Phoenix?" Edgeworth asked.

"Yes, Edgeworth?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"Of course! Anything. You can tell me anything."

"Sometimes... sometimes I feel so sad."

"What are you sad about?"

"..."