Epilogue:

2001-2002

Phoenix's Treehouse

After Edgeworth left, Phoenix slipped into depression.

Everything was gone. Disappeared. It was like a house. A beautiful house, built by Phoenix and Edgeworth. One day, they would move in together, and be two best friends living happily ever after with each other. Now someone burned that house down. And Edgeworth was gone. Gone forever. Nothing could bring him back.

It was like Edgeworth had died. It was like Edgeworth had passed away, taking Phoenix's spirit away with him. Edgeworth was gone...

The words echoed around in his empty mind. Each time it inflicted a new cut, a new wound, a new injury to heal. The scar it would leave would be a constant reminder to himself.

For months, Phoenix did nothing. He sat in his treehouse, legs dangling over the door, laying on the floor, eyes closed. He felt so cold. On both the inside and the outside. Spring passed, summer came, and before he knew it, another year passed.

Without Edgeworth.

Phoenix finally felt what being alone really was like. He had tasted companionship for only so long... that being with only himself was such a punishment.

Nothing mattered. His wellness was the least of his concerns. Nothing had any impact on him. Nothing was anything to Phoenix

The whole time, Phoenix was stunned, frozen in place. Life moved on as he sat there like a rock. When he was in his treehouse, he spent his time thinking. But really, he didn't think about anything. His mind was blank. He was like a dead battery. Nothing could motivate him. Nothing was worth his time. Nothing mattered.

He had endured so much pain. So much pain, that he was completely senseless. It built up, slowly, but in the end, it did it's job. And the thing was, Phoenix never told anyone. Not a single drop. Not even to Edgeworth.

Phoenix really was suffering. And he faced it alone. The howling wind, the relentless rage of the freezing rain, struck him down, attacked the poor child. He was defenseless. But the whole time, he continued to try and stand up, to bravely confront his inner battle.

One night, while sitting in his treehouse on a freezing cold night, staring at nothing, he remembered their last playdate. The last time they had spent their time talking.

"Phoenix?" Edgeworth asked.

"Yes, Edgeworth?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"Of course! Anything. You can tell me anything."

"Sometimes... sometimes I feel so sad."

Phoenix was still, his thoughts wandering freely.

"Phoenix... I'm so scared."

"..."

Silence.

"Can I tell you something too, Edgeworth?"

"Sure."

"That will never happen. I won't let it happen. I'll protect you."

He swallowed.

"You're my best friend. My one and only friend. I'll never let any harm come to you."

"..."

"Don't cry, Edgeworth. It's okay. Everything will be okay."

Phoenix closed his eyes.

"I'll help you. Through thick and thin, through the wildest storms, through the most messed-up situation, we'll stick together. I promise."

"..."

"Edgeworth... I love you. Like a brother. Do you know that?"

"...No, I didn't."

Silence.

"Thank you, Phoenix."

"No, thank you, Edgeworth."

Phoenix let his tears fall freely.

"Edgeworth... don't waste your crying on me. Go see the new world," he had said, gesturing to the outside. "I'll be waiting for you, right here, if you need me to comfort you. I'll always be here for you, no matter where you are. I promise."

Even though he was completely numb from pain, this memory was like a new cut, just like the other ones on him. He buried himself in the comfort of his own familiarity, huddled in the corner.

I... I couldn't keep my promises. I was so stupid... so oblivious to the rest of the world. How could I not have known? Promises are just a bunch of broken dreams. I made them, and watched them get snapped in half like twigs.

He was so empty, empty like a bucket. So hollow, hollow like a used cocoon. So sad, sad... like no one else.

Phoenix wanted to end his life countless times. There was no point in going on. There was nothing left to live for. There was nothing there but pain and suffering. Make a move, and he was beaten by sticks and hit by stones until he was all battered up, unable to stand.

Yet Phoenix never did it. He still had one thing that kept him going.

The existence of Edgeworth.

All his other promises had been crushed by fate and reality except one.

Phoenix had once promised Edgeworth to be always there for him when he needed support and comfort. He decided to wait until Edgeworth came back, seeking his help. He decided to one day help Edgeworth in any way, to help him stop suffering, to carry his burden.

And he intended to keep it.