05 | empty throne

Cordelia Odair is gifted. Gifted with such an incredible beauty. With pale skin, long black hair that she inherited from her mother, and lips red as rose. She was adored by many people ever since she's a child.

But for Cordelia, being beautiful is a curse, not a gift. People judge you quickly just because you're slightly beautiful and talented. And sadly, that rule also applied in the Hunger Games.

When you got the brain and beauty, you could easily claim your throne. But the problem is, there's no throne. You may see thousands of people wanted the throne, or maybe the glory and gold. But to Cordelia Odair, there's no such a thing. It was just an empty throne.

A throne where sadness will be your only friend while many gold covered with blood will be your only cure. Then after reality wake them up, they will immediately run away to leave their golden glory.

People cheered for your glory only because they liked you. Not by knowing your personality, but by how good you could fake those acts in front of them. It's like they're forcing you to smile while you're facing your own death.

So, Ebony used this opportunity to dress Cordelia as a miserable girl who's holding her tears by smiling. A beauty queen in tears, she titled her so called work of art.

"This is ridiculous, Ebony." Cordelia groans, "You can't dress me up like this. I look scary, which i don't really mind, but i need a lot of sponsors too." Cordelia pointed to the black gown she'll going to wear.

"Come on! Cinna is doing his final thing for Katniss, the siblings from district one are wearing matching things! So, i want you and Finnick to be differently amazing tonight." Ebony tried to persuade her.

The dress was angelic, but also looked deathly at the same time. The black colored dress was outstanding. The ruffled mermaid skirt dress features a round neckline and beaded cap sleeve.

"You'll look ruthless and beautiful at the same time, honey. And both are the most deathly combination. Just perfect your act then people will certainly lining up to give yo sponsors." Ebony explained excitedly.

"Yeah, but tonight it's about sadness. You show them how sad you are, how angry you are, how you want to get out from this hell! Not showing them that you're ready to die gracefully then bow to them in your so-fine-great dress like you accept your death." Cordelia angrily stated to Ebony.

She was tired. Dressing up for her own funeral, asking as if she's sane enough to actually agreeing to all of this. She didn't sign up for all or this.

"That's my point from the start! I want to show them how your life turn miserable because of them, and how cruel of them for forcing you to smile at time like this. Act as if they're the monster, Ode."

"Just, just this time okay. I-i can't take this anymore." She give Ebony a small sigh of defeat.

"Yes, just this one night. The lasts night of your misery." Ebony hugged Cordelia, letting her know that she's here for her, tomorrow or forever.

"Thank you, Ebony." Cordelia thanked her. "Now dress me up as if i'm the saddest living person."

"Alright, princess."

◽️◾️

As Cordelia looked at her own reflection, she was disgusted. She looked like she was a statue dressed up to be showed off.

A perfect copy of a pretty doll. She can't do a thing to all of the mess she's in. All she can do was smile then wave, and let those monstrous people judged her like she's their new entertainment.