08 | to burn down his castle

"It's getting dark." Finnick said.

"Yeah," Cordelia nodded. "We should set up a camp, take turn sleeping. I can take first watch." She suggested.

"Yeah, not a chance." Katniss gritted her teeth.

Cordelia rolled her eyes at Katniss' respond. "Honey," she started in a low voice. "What me and Finnick did back there was called saving. If i wanted to kill you, i could've done it from the first minute we met." she held her gaze for a few seconds before she walks away from Katniss.

"Finnick, you could sleep first. I'm not that tired." Cordelia said. Finnick whispered a thanks before laying on the ground to get some sleep.

Katniss only stared at the two, still having difficulty to trust them. "You should get some sleep too Peeta. You really need it." With a nod, Peeta lays down.

"I guess it's just you and me now, Everdeen."

◽️◾️

"How's Peeta?" Cordelia asked, after an hour of silence between the two.

Katniss glanced at a sleeping Peeta, "He's okay, i think. Just a little dehydrated like the rest of us."

Cordelia nodded just as the sky light up and the arena was filled with the Capitol Anthem. The faces of the dead tributes start to cross in the sky one by one, cannons blasting off elsewhere in the arena. Finnick begin to sit straight, now wide awake.

"What did i miss?" he asked with a dry voice.

Cordelia noticed that Peeta already awake from his sleep, sitting up near Katniss. "I counted eight," Katniss said.

Finnick hummed in response, while Cordelia just silently nodded.

They all sat in silence, Finnick moved to sit beside his sister who was leaning against a tree. "You okay? You could take some sleep," he offered.

"I'm alright," she answered quietly. "I have insomnia, so i can't sleep very well."

Finnick widened his eyes in shock, "Since when?" he asked, concern in his voice.

"Since i won the games." she said, "It's no big deal, sleeping doesn't help me anyway. I always had nightmares."

Before Finnick could said anything back, a parcel floated down with a faint beeping to indicate their presence. Katniss was the first to grab it, opening it up and reading the note placed inside it.

"Drink up?" she read aloud.

"What is it?" Cordelia asked.

Peeta and Finnick watched the two while Katniss held the metal cylinder in her hands, tracing the lip of it.

"I think it's from Haymitch. I think it's a spile."

"A what?" Peeta and Cordelia asked at the same time.

Katniss crawled over to a tree and hammered the spile into it with the blunt of her machete, eagerly sitting in front of it, waiting for something to happen. And just like that, an increasing stream of warm water poured out from the lip of the spile. Katniss dipped down to take a large gulp of the water.

"Are you kidding me! You're kidding me!" Finnick exclaimed as he let Peeta go before him to drink the water.

Cordelia followed the group, and after Finnick, she drank the refreshing water. The water tasted so fresh when it slid down her throat. Knowing that the Capitol citizens out there were sipping away at their glasses of purified water while seating on their comfy sofas, make her a bit irritated. But for now, she just wanted to drink more.

The night went on with Peeta falling back to sleep, and Cordelia taking a quick rest. And turned out, it was a pretty bad idea. As soon as she closed her eyes, a serial of bad memories started to play in her head, causing her to woke up with a hot face and sweat on her body. Finnick gave her a worry look for her sudden awakening.

Katniss was still awake as well, her eyes halfway closed. "I counted twelve," she said after the ringing stopped.

"Midnight?" Finnick asked.

"Or the number of districts," Katniss shrugged.

Off the distance, an odd tall tree was was getting hit with lightning repeatedly. Finnick laid down next to the spot where Cordelia slept and gives the two girls a tired expression. "Well, if you two aren't going to sleep, I will."

Cordelia stood up to sit on a lowly placed rock near Katniss. "What about playing some games to get rid of the boredom?" she offered.

"Aren't we already in a game?" the corner of her lips tilted up into a faint smile. "Alright, what games would you like to play?"

"We can't kill each other, so... how about 21 questions?"

Katniss nodded her head, "But i'll be the one who asked first." she said, making Cordelia to nods back.

"Do you have someone at home? Someone who's waiting for you or such."

"A few." she admitted, "I'm not a people person so i'm not really close with the neighbors. My only friend was Oliver, he was the only one that would stick with me. And there's Ebony that's like a sister, and i guess Dawn too."

Katniss smiled at the girl answers. She didn't know that they actually have something in common, and that's being not too friendly.

Cordelia stared at Katniss' eyes, ready to ask her question. "About Peeta, is it love or a simple feeling of care?"

The question made Katniss glance over to a sleeping Peeta. "I..I" she paused, "I don't know. I worry about a lot of things, and his safety was one of those. I just.."

"Love is weird," Cordelia interrupted. "Love was something unpredictable they said. But for my opinion, i think it was pretty much predictable. It simply destroy you. It's kinda monstrous isn't it?"

Katniss stared at the girl, and feels a little sad for her. She was still lucky to have her mother, Prim, Gale, Peeta, Effie, and Haymitch. But the Capitol already taken everything that Cordelia Odair had. She only has her brother.

"Do you ever regret it?" Katniss asked. "Because even i rebel to Snow. And sometimes he made me regret it."

"Is this a part of your question?" Cordelia asked back, then Katniss respond with a nod.

"I don't have time for regret. He destroyed me and take everything that i loved," she said, staring at the sky with wrath in her eyes. "And now i'm coming to burn down his castle."

A/N

yaaaaaaayyy
fnally an update! and i think i couldn't update in near time bc three months ahead i'll be super busy for exams and the preparation for it

but let's just hope i'll update and PLEASE DON'T BE A SILENT READER:(
it makes me very happy when i see someone voted and commented on my story!
SO THANK YOU✨❤️

vote • comment • thank you